Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Reasons for local acceptance of wind power: lessons from the Danish Energy Islands Samsø & Ærø

55 views

Published on

Miniseminar 21.5.2019: How to improve the local acceptance of renewable energy – what can we learn from Denmark?
Presentation by researcher Henner Busch, Lund University

Published in: Investor Relations
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Reasons for local acceptance of wind power: lessons from the Danish Energy Islands Samsø & Ærø

  1. 1. Reasons for local acceptance of wind power: lessons from the Danish Energy Islands Samsø & Ærø Henner, Lund University May 2019 Transnational RENCOP Meeting
  2. 2. 2 Danish Energy Islands • Three Danish “Energy Islands” • Lighthouse cases for renewable energy • Pioneers • Samsø • Ærø • Bornholm Samsø Ærø Bornholm Google maps, 2019
  3. 3. 3 Process • Local decision-making: role of municipalities in Denmark • Important role of independent intermediaries Samsø Energy Academy Energy and Environment Office Ærø • Local champions with local connections and ideas Søren Hermansen (SörenSamsø) Jesper Balslev (Jesper Ærø Vind) • There will always be resistance (NIMBY) • Local structures can be used for projects other than renewable energy and vice versa
  4. 4. 4 Distribution • Co-benefits not climate change • High share of local investors • Danish 20%-law • Make benefits for local community visible local economy local progress local profits local identity local co-benefits (e.g. internet) • Collective community benefits (public infrastructure) • People accept unequal distribution if the process is seen as fair
  5. 5. 5 Quotes “We are not in this to save the polar bears but if we make ourselves self-sufficient, it might have good side effects.” (on the role of climate change) “They think: I find wind turbines ugly. Until I own part of one. Then I can think of the kronor that go to my bank account when it spins and then I find it quite pretty” (on local ownership)
  6. 6. 6 Quotes “If you have 80% on board, it is easy to convince the remaining 20% in small communities (…) even if I’m against the whole thing I still want to be on good terms with my neighbours and get my fresh eggs every morning from the farmer next door.” (on social processes in small rural communities) “We paid 10 Mio DKK for fossil fuels every year. We wanted to keep this money here and not send it to Saudi-Arabia.” (on “local thinking”)
  7. 7. 7 Thank you slide Thank you for your attention!
  8. 8. Contact Co2mmunity Co2mmunity Meeting Kaunas 12./13. September 2018 Henner Busch Postdoctoral Researcher Department of Human Geography Lund University, Sweden +46 46 222 3024 Henner.busch@keg.lu.se www.co2mmunity.eu https://www.keg.lu.se/henner-busch

×