A Look Into the Past
Glenn Millers “In the Mood”
Click to Advance
Crossroads Store, Juke Joint and Gas Station, Melrose, Louisiana, 1940
visits Paris with
June 23, 1940.
Paris, and he
came to admire
his new city.
Workers Parking Lot at San Diego Airplane Factory, 1940
This picture was taken on
September 16, 1941 at
Vinnitza, Ukraine and was
found in the personal file of a
soldier. On the back of the
picture he had noted, “This is
the last Jew of Vinnitza”.
28,000 Jews from the city and
surrounding area were shot on
that day by the
Einsatzkommando (a sub-
group of the five
Einsatzgruppen mobile killing
squads responsible for
systematically killing Jews and
Soviet political activists).
Curtis P-40 Flying Tiger Squadron. The Flying Tigers Were Credited With Destroying
Nearly 300 Enemy Aircraft While Losing Only 14 Pilots on Combat Missions
Consolidated’s B-24 Liberator – The B-24 was built in two Consolidated plants. Production was also licensed to
Douglas, North American and Ford. At its peak, Ford’s Willow Run plant was producing 428 planes a month. A
total of over 18,000 planes were produced by the five plants. Today, only three B-24s remain in flying condition
and there are only about 10 in museums. The planes were flown by the United States, Britain, Canada,
Australia, South Africa and India. A good number of the museum planes were salvaged from India’s bone yard.
WASPs (Women’s Air Service Pilots) walking past the B-17 flying fortress known as Pistol
Packing Mama. In WW2 they shuttled airplanes from factories, served as test pilots and
delivered supplies by air. They trained out of Avenger Field in Sweetwater, Texas, now the
home of the WASP museum.
Bell Aircraft Corporation P-63 Kingcobras undergoing final Inspection at the Niagara Falls, New York factory.
The planes were built for Russia and provided under the Lend-Lease program. Air Transport Command ferry
pilots, including U.S. women pilots of the WASP program flew the planes to Great Falls, Montana and then
onward via the Alaska-Siberia Route through Canada to Nome, Alaska where Soviet ferry pilots, many of them
women, would take delivery of the aircraft and fly them over the Bering Strait to Russia. A total of 2,397 aircraft
The United States restricted the theaters that the planes could be used in, however, once the Russians had
possession of the planes, they used them where they pleased, perhaps they couldn’t understand English. On the
other hand it may have been that in the midst of a war you just do what you need to do. A concept not foreign to