Windows Phone App
How To Create a Windows Phone App
using the App Studio in
4 easy steps.
By : Shashi Jangra
The App Studio
• Windows Phone App Studio is a tool provided online by Microsoft
to make very basic Windows Phone apps.
• It does not require :
– any programming language.
– any softwares.
– long time to make apps.
• It only requires :
A Microsoft Account which is free to make.
A Stable Internet Connection.
A Windows Phone ( to use the app only )
Your Ideas and Creativity.
Some Important Preparations
• Your Windows Phone must be connected to the same
Microsoft account that you use while using App Studio.
• Install the Microsoft Windows Phone App Studio
certificate in order to install the apps you generate with
Windows Phone App Studio directly on your phone.
• Go to : “ apps.windowsstore.com ”.
• Click on “Start Building”.
• Login with your Microsoft Account.
• Now, you are ready to make the app in just 4 simple
What type of Windows Phone
app do you want to create?
• Create an empty app.
• Create an app from a
o By creating an empty app, you will be able to build an app by configuring
the content and style using your own creativity.
o By creating an app from a template, you will be able to start with a
previously generated app as a guide. Use the sections, Data Sources
structure, content and style from the template while you configure and
customize the layout and content.
1. App Information
• Insert the name of your
• Add a Short description
about the application.
• Select the icon of your
2. Configure app content
To configure your app content, Windows Phone
App Studio features :
In each Application Section, the user works with a
set of pages, a DataSource and Windows Phone
Each Section must be linked to one Data Source.
• A Section is a part of app
which is displayed on the
screen to user.
• An app can have
maximum 6 Sections.
• A section can have
multiple pages to be
displayed in it.
• We can swipe on screen
to access all sections.
• We can reorder sections
by simple drag and drop
method in the app studio.
• With Data Sources, you can configure and add as much content as you would
like to show in the sections of your App.
• A Data Source is always created when you add a section.
• You can create a new one or select one already created previously in another
• A Data Source can be used in two or more different sections.
The Pages are the part of the app which are shown in the sections and let you
choose a layout and link to the exact data you would like to show on the screen
by binding content in every page using the data you already linked to that
The overall Configuration
3. Configure app style
Here you are able to :
• Play with the colours in your visual style.
• Customize the Windows Phone Tiles.
• Select a Splash Screen and a Lock Screen.
Configuring the Style and Tiles.
• In the style section, you are able to customize the different brushes from the
accent, background, foreground, and also the application bar.
• In the Tiles section you are be able to choose the type of tile you would like
to use and configure its behavior in the main screen of your Windows Phone.
Lock and Splash Screen section
In the Lock and Splash Screen section, you can choose an image or use a
4. Summary & Generate
Here you generate your app by Summing up all the things like photos,
sections, pages & data sources.
Source Code & installation
Your app is now generated properly. You will recieve an email notification on
your phone from where you can install the certificate of company app. The
best part of using app studio is at last if you want to know the coding part
behind your application, then you can download the source code & open it in
You just simply scan the QR code & follow the corresponding link to install
the app on your Windows Phone device.
Go to your Windows Phone Apps
and look for your new Personal App
I hope you give it a try ! :D
Thank you !