HISTORY OF THE PROJECT, OUTCOME AND
Jaana Sinipuro, Project Director, Sitra
5 key facts about Sitra
1. A gift from Parliament to the 50-year-old
2. An independent foresight agency:
futurologist, researcher, visionary,
developer, experimentalist, partner, trainer,
3. Funded by returns on endowment capital
and capital investments.
4. Envisages Finland as a successful pioneer in
5. Its vision is supported by three themes, six
focus areas and dozens of projects.
Building our future
The Isaacus project (2015–2018) by Sitra
- Prepared the basic principles and operating plan for “Digital Health Hub” that works
together with the new national permit authority ensuring safe and fast access to Finnish
data reserves for R&D. Sometimes referred as “Service Operator”.
- Funded pre-production projects as pilots for different technical platforms and
developed national research service infrastructure
- Named after Isaacus Rothovius born 1st of November 1572.
The act concerning the secondary use of social and healthcare data
- Backbone for new government agency and streamlined researcher services. Under
parliamentary work (since October 2017).
Temporary Steering Group
- Working committee of Digital Health Hub stakeholders working since January 2018 to
plan for future operations. Led by ministry, Project Management Office funded by Sitra
2018 -2017 - 2019 -2016 -
Working Committee starts preparations for the new act on
the secondary use of social and healthcare data.
Working term 04’2015 - 12’ 2017
submitted for first
08 – 09’2016
Expert hearings and debates.
Constitutional law committee
and Social affairs and health
new act on
use of health
Further preparations by
government, register holders
Adjusted proposal prepared
10’2016 - 10’2017
The Government draft budget
1,8 million eur (2018)
3,3 million eur (2019)
decisions (total 7 M)
with support of
Isaacus phase 1 completed in
09’2017. Pre-production pilots
give insight on future ICT services.
No readiness for handover since
stakeholders have no budget
without new legislation.
Group prepares start
(total 35 MDs)
Sitra lengthens project to
ensure the impact of the
work. Project Management
Office funded to support
temporary Steering Group
assigned by Ministry
Improving Research Infrastructure and Researcher Services
New technologies and platforms for innovations
Evaluations and Reports
7 000 000 € / 14 000 000 €
Projects (8 pre-production pilots)
Local events, mostly organized by Sitra
International meetings and study tours
International round-table meeting guests
-Sense of urgency missing… or just too many
-Mindset change needed: from production-
driven to customer-driven
-More innovative ways for public-private
partnerships needed – shortage of skills
-Pooling of different funding sources to national
programmes. Strategy is about choices
-Focus on trust
-Grassroots level collaboration
-Hype for datalake solutions and personalised medicine
More insight from
Finnish moonshot initiative?
Finns don’t overtell…
we just do.