2.10 marketing mix first introduction for teacher repositories
Marketing- Marketing Mix
1.Identify and discuss elements of the marketing
mix and their importance.
2.Discuss the importance of an integrated
• What are the most significant features of the iPod
• What factors would make you want to buy it?
• What factors make it successful?
Methods used to improve/differentiate the product and
increase sales or target sales more effectively to gain a
competitive advantage e.g.
• How much?
• Link with perception of quality
• Pricing Strategy (how prices are set)
• Importance of:
• knowing the market
• keeping an eye on rivals
• Strategies to make the consumer aware of the
existence of a product or service
• E.g. special offers, advertising, endorsements, user
trials, direct mailing, leaflets, posters, free gifts,
• NOT just advertising
• The means by which products and services get from
producer to consumer and where they can be
accessed by the consumer
• The more places to buy the product and the easier it is
made to buy it, the better for the business (and the
• E.g. retail, wholesale, mail order, Internet, direct
sales, multi channel
Using the product provided, identify the marketing
mix, so include:
• A brief description of what the product is
• What kind of price can you expect to pay for it?
• What distribution channels are used?
• What promotional methods are used to make customers
aware of the product?
Which is the most important element? And why?
An Integrated Marketing Mix
• All elements must be used effectively and
• Shouldn’t contradict each other
• £1 for a tub of Haagen Dazs from Lidl?
• Primark selling Mulberry handbags?
• £100 for a scarf from H&M?
• In your opinion, which is the most important
element of the marketing mix and why?