NOIDA INSTITUTE OF ENGG. & TECHNOLOGY, GR. NOIDA
Department of Information Technology.
B.Tech. PROJECT REPORT
ONLINE VEHICLE RENTAL SYSTEM
A PROJECT REPORT
in Partial Fulfillment of Requirements for the Degree
Bachelor of Technology
Under the Supervision of
Mr. Ramesh Sahoo
MAHAMAYA TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY,
We hereby declare that this submission is our own work and that, to the best of our
knowledge and belief, it contains no material previously published or written by another
person nor material which to a substantial extent has been accepted for the award of any
other degree or diploma of the university or other institute of higher learning, except where
due acknowledgment has been made in the text.
Name: Tanya Bhadauria(1113313092)
Certified that Tanya Bhadauria(1113313092), Somendra Singh(1113313082),
Vaibhav(1113313095) has carried out the project work presented in this r e p o r t
entitled “Online Vehicle Rental System” for the award of Bachelor of Technology
(Information Technology) from Mahamaya Technical University, Noida under my
supervision. The thesis embodies results of original work, and studies as are carried out
by the student himself/ herself and the contents of the thesis do not form the basis for
the award of any other degree to the candidate or to anybody else from this or any other
Dr. Somesh kumar (Mr. Ramesh Sahoo)
I would like to express my sincere gratitude to my project guide “MR. RAMESH SAHOO” for giving
me the opportunity to work on this topic. It would never be possible for us to take this project to this level
without his innovative ideas and his relentless support and encouragement.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
CHAPTER 1 : INTRODUCTION 1-3
1.1 GENERAL INTRODUCTION 2
1.1.1 OBJECTIVE 2
1.1.2 SCOPE 3
1.1.3 PURPOSE 3
CHAPTER 2 : SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS 4-5
2.1 SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS 5
CHAPTER 3 : LITERATURE SURVEY 6-9
3.1 SYSTEM ANALYSIS 7
3.2 PROBLEMS IN EXISTING SYSTEM 7
3.3 CHARACTERISTICS OF PROPOSED SYSTEM 8
CHAPTER 4 : SOFTWARE REQUIREMENT ANALYSIS 10-13
4.1 FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS 11
4.2 NON-FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS 13
CHAPTER 6 : CODING 23-36
6.1 HOME 24
6.2 LOG IN 34
6.3 REGISTRATION 35
CHAPTER 7 : OUTPUT SCREEN 36-43
1.1 GENERAL INTRODUCTION
The recent boom in the era of internet has ensured that all type of services, sales and
products to be made online. Business has become more efficient for both the business
person and the customers. It is now fast, accessible from anywhere and anytime and
avoid the hefty physical transactions. The project Online Vehicle Rental System
keeping all these things in mind provides a total solution to the field of auto rental
The idea behind the proposed website is to develop consistent, robust and user-
friendly software that allows visitors and customers to rent any vehicle as per his/her
requirements, for required duration and in any of the selected cities. This service will
work round the clock and thus will allow anyone to book or rent a vehicle in a city
without any time restriction, board the vehicle at his choice of location, pay for the
rental online and could also provide valuable feedback for improvement in products
1) Availability of vehicle round the clock.
2) Wide range of vehicles including:
c) Utility Vans
e) Two Wheelers
3) Pickup and drop-off locations according to choice
4) Vendor details of each vehicle
5) Maintaining record of every booking history.
6) Feedback mechanism for increasing service quality
7) Contact Details of every vendor
8) Online payment option
9) Location wise search of vendors
10) Receipt and online voucher generation
11) Login and account generation
This project traverses a lot of areas ranging from business concept to computing
field, and required to perform several researches to be able to achieve the project
objectives. The area covers include:
• Car rental industry: This includes study on how the car rental business is being
done, process involved and opportunity that exist for improvement.
• JAVA Technology used for the development of the application.
• General customers as well as the company’s staff will be able to use
the system effectively.
• Web-platform means that the system will be available for access 24/7 except
when there is a temporary server issue which is expected to be minimal.
• Eco-friendly: The monitoring of the vehicle activity and the overall business becomes
easy and includes the least of paper work.
• The software acts as an office that is open 24/7.
• It increases the efficiency of the management at offering quality
services to the customers.
• It provides custom features development and support with the software
A car rental is a vehicle that can be used temporarily for a fee during a specified period.
Getting a rental car helps people get around despite the fact they do not have access to their
own personal vehicle or don't own a vehicle at all. The individual who needs a car must
contact a rental car company and contract out for a vehicle. This system increases customer
retention and simplify vehicle and staff management.
3.1 SYSTEM ANALYSIS
Before developing any new system anywhere, it is imperative upon the developers to
acquaint themselves with environment in which the proposed system would be installed.
Also, it is necessary to interact with the user regarding their demands and the resources
available with them. This gives a clear overview of the improvements wanted and to be
provided. The study and analysis of the proposed system was carried out diligently under
the guidance of experts of the organization. In the existing system, all the work is being
carried out manually. Computers available are just for typing in the excel sheets. Besides
him, we have checked an earlier package being done in FoxPro and the reports created in
Excel sheets for more hints.
3.2 PROBLEMS IN EXISTING SYSTEM
1. This project is being considered in order to reduce and totally eliminate loss of
customers to competitors, and save the company from folding up.
2. The current system is manual and it is time consuming. It is also cost ineffective, and
average return is low and diminishing. Currently, customers can call or walk-in in order to
rent or reserve a vehicle. The staff of the company will check their file to see which vehicle
is available for rental.
3. The current system is error prone and customers are dissatisfied. The goal of this project
is to automate vehicle rental and reservation so that customers do not need to walk-in or
call in order to reserve a vehicle.
4. There is huge amount of amount of paperwork involved in the process
5. The system makes a general report about the rented vehicles once at the end of the
month and generates a report.
6. He/she is expected to go to the organization to make reservation.
7. During renting a vehicle the customer personal information, payments status and rent
agreements are filled in the car rent agreement form ,in order to hold legal contract between
the customer and vendor for renting the vehicle
3.3 CHARACTERISTICS OF PROPOSED SYSTEM
1) The proposed project keeps in mind the undermacies of the current system as stated
2) It consists of a login portal for customers, vendors and staff.
3) Distance and position calculated by Google API and Google Maps.
4) Online voucher and invoice generation.
5) Instant reservation confirmation or Payment Confirmation by mail or SMS.
6) Reminders on timings of vehicles and pickups.
7) Pick-up and drop-off at multiple locations.
8) Different currency support for foreign customers.
9) It will also keep track of all vehicle reservation and return. Reports will be generated bi-
10) Feedback and reviews from the users who have already used the service
11) The working in the organization will be well planned and organized. The data will be
stored properly in data stores, which will help in retrieval of information as well as its
12) The level of accuracy in the proposed system will be higher. All operation would be
done correctly and it ensures that whatever information is coming from the center is
13) The system should be easy to operate and should be such that it can be developed within
a short period of time and fit in the limited budget of the user.
14) In the proposed system utmost care would be that no information is repeated anywhere,
in storage or otherwise. This would assure economic use of storage space and
consistency in the data stored.
15) The reliability of the proposed system will be high due to the above stated reasons.
The reason for the increased reliability of the system is that now there would be proper
storage of information.
16) The main objective of proposed system is to provide for a quick and efficient retrieval
of information. Any type of information would be available whenever the user requires.
17) In manual system there are many problems to store the largest amount of information.
2.1 SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
2.1.1 HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS
Processor: Intel Pentium IV, Dual core, Core 2 Duo or higher
RAM: 64 Mb or higher
Disk space: 130Mb
Printer: Inkjet or Laser Printer
Monitor: VGA enabled
Keyboard &Mouse: Multimedia
2.1.2 SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS
Operating system: Win-XP, Windows7
4.1 FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS
These are statements of services the system should provide, how the system should react to
particular inputs, and how the system should behave in particular situations. It specifies
the software functionality that the developers must build into the product to enable users to
accomplish their tasks.
1.The system must allow the customer to register for reservation.
2.The system shall allow the customer to view detail description of particular vehicle
.3.The system must notify on selection of unavailable vehicles while reservation..
4.The system shall present an option for advanced search to limit the vehicle search to
specific categories of vehicles search. E.g. By Brand, Type and Model.5.
The system must allow the customers to select specific vehicle using different search
category while reservation.
6.The system must view list of available vehicles during reservation.
7. The system shall allow the customers to cancel reservation using
8.The system shall allow the employee to update reservation information
.9. The system shall allow the employee to view reservations made by customers.
10. The system shall presents information on protection products and their daily costs, and
requests the customer to accept or decline regulation terms during reservation.
11. The system must be able to provide a unique reservation conformation number for all
successfully committed reservations.12.
12.The system must be able to display reservation summary for successfully committee
13. The system should allow manager to login to the system using their username
14. The system should allow staff to login to the system using their username and
15. The system shall allow the manager to create new user account.
16. The system shall allow manager to change account password.
17. The system shall allow staff to change account pass
18 .The system shall allow staff to logout.
19.The system shall allow manager to logout.
20. The system should allow staff to register new vehicles..
21. The system shall allow staff to select vehicles in the list.
22. The system shall allow customer to select vehicles in the list.
23. The system shall allow staff to Search vehicles by specific record.
24. The system shall allow customer staff to Search vehicles by specific record.
25. The system shall allow staff to update information of the vehicle in need of
26. The system shall allow staff to display all lists of vehicle..
27. The system shall allow staff to display all available vehicle.
28. The system shall allow customer to display all available vehicle..
29. The system shall allow staff to display all rented vehicle.
30. The system shall allow staff to display all off duty vehicles.
31. The system shall allow staff to register customers into rental list.
32. The system shall allow staff to update about customer rent record details in the rental
33. The system shall be able to save all changes made on the customer rent list.
34. The system shall allow staff to select customer rent record by specific search category.
35. The system shall allow staff to search rent record of customers using
37. The system shall allow staff to display all customers rent record
38. The system must provide printable summary for successful committed rent
4.2 NON FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Non-functional requirements, as the name suggests, are requirements that are not directly
concerned with the specific services delivered by the system to its users. They may relate to
emergent system properties such as reliability, response time, and store occupancy .
Alternatively, they may define constraints on the system implementation such as the
capabilities of I/O devices or the data representations used in interfaces with other
systems. Non-functional requirements, such as performance, security, or availability,
usually specify or constrain characteristics of the system as a whole. .
The system provides a help and support menu in all interfaces for the user to interact
with the system.
The user can use the system by reading help and support.
The system provides username and password to prevent the system from unauthorized
The staffs’ password must be greater than eight characters.
The system response time for every instruction conducted by the user must not exceed
more than a minimum of 10 seconds.
The system should have high performance rate when executing user’s input and
should be able to provide response with in a short time span usually 50 second for highly
complicated task and 20 to 25 seconds for less complicated task.
The system should always be available for access at 24 hours, 7 days a week. Also in the
occurrence of any major system malfunctioning, the system should be available in 1 to 2
working days, so that business process is not severely affect.
Books name Author Publisher
Database Korth Sli Technical Publications
Fundamentals of Elmasri and Navate Dreamtech Press
Software Engineering Bipin C. Desai Galgotia Publications
TABLE OF FIGURES
1. 0-LEVEL DATA FLOW DIAGRAM----------------------------------------------23
2. 1-LEVEL DATA FLOW DIAGRAM----------------------------------------------24
3. 2-LEVEL DATA FLOW DIAGRAM FOR LOG-IN---------------------------25
4. 2-LEVEL DATA FLOW DIAGRAM FOR BOOKING-----------------------26
5. 2-LEVEL DATA FLOW DIAGRAM FOR PAYMENT-----------------------27
6. USE-CASE DIAGRAM--------------------------------------------------------------28
7. ENTITY-RELATIONSHIP DIAGRAM-----------------------------------------29