Copm study of teaching strategies by pu. & uoe teachers
A Comparative Survey of
Teaching Strategies Used By
P.U & U.E English Teachers At
• This study is important for training
institutes where teachers of English
are under training.
• It focuses on strategies adapted by
the English teachers of University of
the Punjab & University of the
• Investigation of different methods and strategies
of teaching English used by English Language &
Literature teachers of P.U & U.E at Masters Level .
• explores qualities and competencies of English
teachers of both universities.
• provides details to compare and contrast the
• It tells that how English teachers of P.U & U.E
enable students to read, write, speak and
understand English Language.
• Are P.U English teachers more qualified
than U.E Eng teachers?
• Are the methods & strategies employed
by P.U & U.E English teachers different?
What is Teaching Strategy?
• skilful planning of a working system.
• Strategies are never same rather dynamic and
keep on changing according to situations.
• It is the determination of some policy by
planning before presenting the content and
with its help students force is faced and
teaching objectives are achieved. (Moore
Kenneth D. 1994, p.35)
Teaching Method Vs. Teaching Strategy:
• Teaching Method is determined according to
the nature of content.
Teaching Method Teaching Strategy
•Only presentation of
•A teacher has large range
of strategies to adopt any
teaching method; direct,
G.T.M, audio-Lingual, TPR
•includes all aspects as
contents, task analysis,
changes in the behavior,
attitude of students; their
abilities & needs etc.
• A survey is conducted in P.U and U.E to access
teaching strategies of English teachers. The
results are shown in tables:
Lesson Plan Daily
University Mostly Usually
P.U 50% 35%
U.E 65% 35%
Question P.U U.E
Mostly Usually Mostly Usually
Improve qualification 30% 96% 35% 55%
Use of English 80% 20% 70% 30%
Solve sts problems 70% 30% 75% 50%
Discussion 65% 36% 60% 35%
Use of A.V aids 70% 25% 75% 25%
Multi-media, Projector 20% 60% 25% 40%
Activities 55% 40% 40% 60%
Heed to Slow Learners 50% 35% 65% 35%
• English language should teach the masses as it is
an international language.
• It aims to provide higher learning and better
career points, so it demands special attention.
• There are various methodologies which are used
for teaching English; like, lecture, audio-
lingual, direct, demonstration, questioning and
discussion methods are used commonly.
• This comparative study encompasses that how
and which teaching methodologies are used in P.U
• P.U English teachers are more qualified than U.E
teachers as only 50 % U.E; English teachers are
having qualification of Mphil whereas P.U ratio is
• No apparent difference is observed in strategies in
• The teachers of U.E use more A.V aids than P.U.
They use blackboard, multimedia and projector in
order to enhance learning capabilities of the
• P.U English teachers give more activities to
students to perform as compared to U.E. bold
• English language is used as a medium of
instruction and students are involved in
discussions in P.U.
• The students of U.E must be encouraged by
language teachers to participate in discussion
• The English teachers in U.E are more willing
to solve the problems of the students outside
the class and feel more need to give time to
the slow learners as compared to P.U
For P.U English Language teachers
• May also make use of A.V aids in classes for
effective and valuable learning in students.
• Make more efforts to solve problems outside
class. A teacher should be all the time ready to
guide advice and help the students.
• Special attention should be paid to the slow
• Be encouraging in solving problems of the
For U.E English Language teachers
• May involve class in performing activities
which are necessary for independent learning.
• To hold discussions among students to
improve their speaking and listening skills.
• Needs to concentrate to make students
confidant and active not only in L2 proficiency
but also in society.