Top (i-phone) Chef
A conceptual design by
Design Challenge: Use social media to encourage
healthy behaviors that impact weight
Time Frame: 4 weeks
Top (i-phone) Chef
To teach anyone how to make healthy meals on a budget
through an interactive competition that can be played
Top (i-phone) Chef targets iphone users who:
• are already at-home experts but....
o want "Top Chef" status among friends
o don't have a way of displaying their recipes
o need a little creative challenge to stay on their game
• want to cook but...
o don't know any/many recipes
o need others to push them
o are on a budget
o don't know how to choose healthy options
• are bored and need to fidget on a gadget
Storyboard of user experience
Shubha gets app and invites her friends to compete in a Top (i-phone) Chef
challenge as individuals or teams.
Teams are presented with the cooking challenge and must decide which
ingredients to use, portion size and price.
At the end of pre-determined time limit, teams submit their recipes to the i-phone
judge, which determines which team made the healthiest meal on a budget, using
The winning team gets points, yippie! See expansion section for further ideas
Top (i-phone) Chef provides a series of prompts to select.
Algorithm is then calculated
Features and Functionality
- Interactive game
- Competitors are given a challenge
- Teams with healthiest, cheapest meal get points
Justifications for Design
- Social Pressure to play
- Incentives to choose healthy options
- Intrinsic lesson in the game
- Uses a popular TV show to gain popularity
- Encourages social interaction
Shortcomings of Design
• requires knowledge of meal preparation algorithms
• prices may change
• did not do market research on what is already out there
• need to make the game fun/challenging enough but not too
Expansion- What else is possible?
• Begin with limited ingredients/recipes, then allow users to
input their own ingredients/recipes to create a huge, search-
able, rank-able virtual cookbook on, for example, Facebook
• Connect to Google calendar and spreadsheets to schedule
potlucks and assign friends to different dishes from the
• Connect to local grocery stores, markets, restaurants to get
discounts based on the number of points earned
Next Steps in Design Process
1. Start building the prototype
o I'm behind on this!!! I'll catch up once I finish my exam on
o Create recipe algorithm
o Create facebook app
2. Check in with industry mentor.
o I don't have one yet
3. Learn Google optimizer to run tests
Top (i-phone) Chef aims to improve nutrition and eating choices
through a fun interactive game.