The region of malwa- of which dhar an mandu were the twin capital
Mandu or Mandavgad is a ruined city in the present-day Mandav area
of the Dhar district. It is located in the Malwa region of western Madhya
Pradesh, India, at 35 km from the Dhar city.
It gained prominence in 10th and 11th century under the Parmars
(who called it Mandavgarh), from whom the control was snatched by
Khiljis in 1305.
Then ruler Allauddin Khilji named Mandav as "Shadiabad" meaning
the city of happiness (Anand Nagari), after the name of princess Mandvi
Chouhan of Khandwa .
DHAR AND MANDU AT MP
• In the 10th century Mandu was founded as a fortress retreat by Raja
Bhoj, but was conquered by the Muslim rulers of Delhi in 1304.
• When Timur captured Delhi in 1401, the Afghan Dilawar Khan, governor
of Malwa, set up his own little kingdom and the Ghuri dynasty was
established, and thus began Mandu's golden age.
• His son, Hoshang Shah, shifted the capital from Dhar to Mandu and
raised it to its greatest splendour. His son and third and last ruler of
Ghuri dynasty, Mohammed, ruled for just one year till his poisoning by
the militaristic Mohammed Khalji.
• The Hindola Mahal might have been constructed during the reign of Hushang Shah
about 1425 C.E. but may date to the end of the 15th century during the reign of
•Swinging palace constructed by Alp Khan, later known as Hoshang Shah who had
also built the city wall
•It is one of a set buildings making up the royal palace complex at Mandu, which
consists of the Jahaz Mahal, the Hindola Mahal, the Tawili Mahal, and the Nahar
•The Hindola Mahal may have been used as an audience chamber.
• T – shaped plan with rectangular hall
measuring 18.2m X 26 m and a transverse
projection at the north with rooms at
back in two floors
• Creates illusion of swaying like a swing –
use of massive sloping walls – far more
stable than structurally required for this
• Severe form diluted by typical Hindu
balconies and jharokhas
• On both sides of the hall there
are six arched openings above
which there are windows filled
with beautiful tracery work for
admitting light and air inside.
• The exterior of the building with
neatly chiseled masonry is
• The coloured tile work,
commonly used in the scheme of
decoration of the other buildings
in Mandu, is found almost
• Architecturally, the building has
been assigned to the end of
Ghiyasu'd-Din's reign i.e., end of
the fifteenth century A.D.
JAMI MASJID (MP)
• The Jami-Masjid is most majestic and imposing
building at Mandu.
• Its construction was started by Hoshang Shah
and completed by Mahmud Khalji in A.D. 1454.
• The whole construction stands on a huge plinth,
about 4.6 m high above the ground level. On
both sides below the porch the façade of the
plinth has been arranged into a varandah.
• The plinth is artfully concealed by the arched
openings of cells with the huge domed porch
projecting in the center. The background being
dominated by three similar imposing domes,
the space between them being filled up by
seemingly innumerable miniature
• Beyond the western door of the
porch is the great court of the
mosque, enclosed on all sides
by huge colonnades with a rich
and pleasing variety in the
arrangement of their arches,
pillars, number of bays and rows
of domes above.
• The prayer hall is the most
imposing of all, with numerous
rows of arches and pillars which
support the domical ceilings of
the eight domes and the three
large ones rising majestically
above the rest.
• Jahaz mahal is located in MANDU which is a popular monumental building.
• Jahaz Mahal is a jewel built somewhere around 1436-1439. (15th century) It's
built by SULTAN GHIYAS-UD-DIN-KHILJI.
• The Mahal is standing in the middle of two artificial lakes Munj Talao and Kapur
Talao. upon a narrow strip of land. It given an impression as floating structure on
water .It has been named as "Jahaz"means "ship" and "mahal" means " palace ".
• Jahaz mahal is 110mt in length and 15mt in width .
• Jahaz mahal is two storied architecture marvel . It is a rectangular structure, three
feet tall with two floors and thick walls.
• Inside the fort, there are three huge halls, separated by corridors, having small
rooms in the end. Northern end of the terrace leads to a bath with broad steps
leading into it.
• At the southern end of the Jahaz
mahal are the remains of complex
system of waterworks that at one
time have equipped with design such
Persian wheels to maintain a balance
between the water tanks on ether
side of this ' ship palace '
• A board flight of steps , probably
necessitated by the waterworks ,
takes one straight up to the terrace
from the Southern end .
• MUNJA-city of joy
• By knowing the potential of Jahaz Mahal, later Khalji kings surrounded
the Munja talao with a series of summer retreats and fancy palaces
These includes Champa Baori ,consists of subterranean passages
communicating with vaulted rooms.
• The talao and its waterfront architecture of summer houses ,pavilions
and palaces had provided an ideal enviroment away from reality .
• The atmosphere of munda attracted mugal ruler Jehangir to visit and
spend amounts on its maintance .
• Having space on the bank of munja talao , the khalji kings spread out
their building operation,and proceeded to erect an endless series of
private pleasure pavilion.
TOMB OF HOSHANG SHAH
• A square tomb located behind western wall of Jami Masjid and built entirely
in white marble.
•The entrance to this tomb is through a porch, square in plan, with well-
proportioned and artistic ached openings on three sides supporting the marble
•Beyond the porch inside is a stone pavement which runs along he northern and
southern sides only of the big court, in the middle of which stands the
mausoleum on a square marble platform.
②Western corridor, from
①Exterior of tomb,from south
Exterior of tomb Right;
•Massive dome sited at top seems to be too large for the square base – not quite
successful in proportion.
•Shah Jahan after deciding to Taj Mahal had sent his architects to study this
mausoleum as preliminary research.
•Probably the idea of placing small domes around the central one in Taj Mahal was
inspired by this tomb.