Youth engagement at the igf 2018 and ways for improvements by shreedeep rayamajhi
Youth Engagement at the IGF 2018 and Ways for Improvements
1. The definition of youth initiative cannot be just limited to youth IGF, it needs to look beyond the
periphery of various grassroots level initiate that are working towards creating a change. Various
youth initiatives are working towards creating a difference in terms of awareness and capacity
building process of Internet governance process and youth leadership.
2. While talking in stock process youth needs to be segregated as per region and developing zones.
Idealizing or looking at the problems with the same can be an issue of difference in level of
awareness, technology available and capacity. It needs to be focused and expertized with fixed
indicators with variables.
3. There needs to be specific directives issued to create a fixed youth session for the Nation and
regional IGF. The participation of youth in IGF simply has many factors like fellowship and
awareness which at times can be just ignored. But if there are specific allotment of youth
session in the National and Regional IGF it can create better dynamics. As in developed nation
this might not be a problem but in developing and least developing countries youth are
bypassed in many ways of their participation and engagement in the overall process.
4. Various toolkits and social media interventions needs to be devised in terms of awareness and
capacity building. Mostly when we talk about IGF the participation of youths is very less so
fellowship for youth needs to be prioritized. Apart from that recognition of youth perspective is
a must and should be acknowledge where most of the times during the IGF remote participation
goes unnoticed which needs specific actions.
5. The MAG members’ roles needs to be further expanded with various coaching and onsite
regional session with youth perspective needs to be conceptualized. MAG members have to be
proactive and should be engaging.
6. Youth engagement and relative initiative needs to be highlighted and given priority for IGF
session. Various case study session and data’s of youth involvement should be featured.
Founder- Learn Internet Governance