Design research study
•Study designs …(not exhaustive)
•Randomized controlled clinical trials
Research study design is a framework, or the set of methods
and procedures used to collect and analyse data on variables
specified in a particular research problem.
The Next Step
•Formally test the identified hypotheses in a
•The study should follow a specific plan or
protocol (the study design)
•Study designs direct how the investigation
is conducted and allows for the translation
of a conceptual hypothesis into an
• Research conducted on humans or
human tissues that makes use of
• Includes study of disease mechanisms,
epidemiology, and clinical trials.
• Aimed at understanding human
disease and improving human health.
• Interaction between researchers and
patient data is a key feature.
Basic Scientific Research
• Fundamental theoretical or
experimental investigative research to
advance knowledge without a
specifically envisaged or immediately
• It is the quest for new knowledge and
the exploration of the unknown.
• Takes many years for the results of
basic research to find some practical
• Output based research through
research articles and patents