● What is SharePoint?
● Editions of SharePoint
● Where do we use SharePoint?
● Online vs On-premise
● Important terms
● Key Features
● Special Features
● Advantages of SharePoint
● Disadvantages of Sharepoint
What is SharePoint?
● SharePoint is Microsoft’s browser-based content management system that
allows a centralized, protected space for document sharing and
● SharePoint is used to build intranets and store, organize and share
information from across the business in one central location.
Editions of SharePoint
SharePoint comes as two different forms,
● Microsoft SharePoint server
○ Microsoft SharePoint foundation
○ Microsoft SharePoint Standard
○ Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise
● SharePoint Online
Although the basic functionalities remain the same, there are a number of
significant feature differences between SharePoint server and Sharepoint online.
Enterprise Content and
Intranet and Social network
File Hosting service
Custom web Applications
Online vs On-Premise
Server Farm within the
Corporate networkSites reside in the MDC
*MDC - Microsoft data centre
Support team maintains the
data farm and applies patches
Microsoft applies patches
On-Premise active directory is
used for authenticationMicrosoft’s global network of
data centers provides reduced
latency and high network
bandwidth. Expensive storage cost
Cheap storage cost
Availability of Enterprise level
services such as BCS,
Performance Point, etc.
1. Site - A SharePoint site is a collection of pages, lists, libraries and related settings.
SP sites can be team sites, blog sites, wiki sites and others.
2. Site collection - Site collection is more than just a collection of sites, it contains a
number of configuration settings that apply to all the sites in it.
3. Farm - Installation of one or more load-balanced Web servers, and back-end
servers, with a configuration database.
4. Library – Container for holding documents, pictures, lists, discussions.
Key features in SharePoint can be divided into the following
1. Social Networking
2. Content Management
3. Site administration
4. Mobile device support
1. My Site profile - Each SharePoint site user gets their own My Site profile page
which is similar to facebook with,
○ The content they have created and sharing
○ interests and competencies.
Users can also search for other employees in his organisation and view their
profiles, if the site serves as an intranet.
2. Newsfeed - Like the Facebook newsfeed, user can see the updates from
other employees in the organisation.
3. Suggestions - In addition to finding people with specific skills or interests, it’s
also possible for one person to suggest another co worker giving the user an
opportunity to connect with him/her and get updates.
4. People Search - All of the people in a SharePoint site are indexed and
searchable including their profiles and content.
5. Noteboard - Noteboard is a microblogging like Twitter or Facebook, users
can post status updates(microblogs) so that those will appear on the News
feeds of his colleagues.
6. Site feeds - Users can follow other sites to track updates for the sites they
7. Sharing - Sharing is a feature that let Users Share a SiteLibraryItemFile
with people in their Company.
8. Access Request Management
1. Drag and Drop - On any document library you can now Drag and Drop
document(s) and it will be upload with a quick progress bar.
2. Call up menu - Drop-down ECB menu is replaced with “Call up menu”. Call up
menu displays what’s it called Callout Popup which displays Preview of an
3. Download - With “Download a copy” end users can download a copy of this
document to their local. C
4. Embed code - With “Embed Information” users can get the embed code for a
document and then paste it in a Script editor or Content Editor webpart to
embed this documents in a SharePoint page.
5. Document Library SYNC (Work with Documents Offline) - Users can have any
Document Library SYNCed to their Local Including the SkyDrive PRO Library.
6. Image renditions - Image renditions let you display different sized versions of
an image on different pages.
7. Most popular items - Most Popular Items is a feature in document library that
lets user see the Popularity and Visits of a document in a document library.
8. People in video - As a part of a Video Content type a Column “People in
videos” is a feature where a user can specify people in your company who are
a part of the Video to be included as Video Metadata.
9. TimeLine & Project Summary Web Parts - TimeLine & Project Summary are
the WebParts in which are added by default to the Project Site
Template.TimeLine as shown in any Tasks list represents the Tasks and
Subtasks with dates as a timeline.
1. Information rights management system(IRM) - Admins can set access rights,
including rights to print, run scripts to enable screen readers, or enable
writing on a copy of the document. IRM is implemented as per the new
additions in the Microsoft office software.
2. Project sites - SharePoint has several Project Sites Template that provides
Out of-box webparts and pages that facilitate Project Managers and Teams
3. Design manager - Design Manager is a feature in SharePoint that makes it
easier to create a fully customized, pixel-perfect design using HTML with tools
like Front end, Dreamweaver etc. Design Manager is a publishing feature that
is available in publishing sites in both SharePoint Server 2013 and Office 365.
Mobile device support
1. Mobile Browser experience - Sharepoint offers three kinds of mobile browser
a. Contemporary view - view renders using HTML5
b. Classic view - view renders using HTML
c. Full-screen UI - full desktop view of a SharePoint site in a mobile device
2. Office web apps - Office Mobile web apps enables users to access the documents in
the SharePoint library using a mobile browser.
3. Location - SharePoint has a geolocation field type that can be used in a list. Lists can
be made location aware by displaying the latitude and longitude via Bing maps.
4. Push Notifications - SharePoint Server supports applications on mobile devices that
should receive notifications from a SharePoint site. Notifications can include events
that occur in the site, such as when a user adds an item to a list or updates an item. For
mobile devices to receive such notifications, device applications must register with a
Advantages of SharePoint
1. Powerful, reliable server platform - designed to perform for a great number of
applications and services while suffering minimal downtime.
2. Powerful, fast search engine – search for docs and via metadata
3. Flexible web server – serves up documents for different types of end user
4. Scalable infrastructure – build and add apps and services
5. Managing corporate risk by managing corporate documents and records
Disadvantages of SharePoint
1. Endpoint users will find it very difficult to use, as it is very complicated and
very hard to find relevant information.
2. SharePoint server takes huge amounts of resources from IT to set up and
3. Release cycles are slow and upgrades are painful.
4. Most of the features won’t work on phone.
5. Search options require a lot of internal customization.
6. Social networking is separated from the rest of the intranet.
7. It cannot be deployed in a small environment.