Peter is a highly experienced, successful and commercially-focused senior executive with a proven track record in the design of new
and transformational business and customer service strategies, taking key lead roles to help clients exceed expectations.
The end-to-end nature of his competencies and experience include Efficiency, Processes, Systems, Technology, Resourcing,
Customer Involvement, Programme Management, Fulfilment, Analytics, Business Modelling, Radical Change Management,
Transformation, Telemarketing/Telesales and Customer-Facing Systems (Billing and CRM) for the Consumer, Small Business and
Corporate markets in both the private and public sectors.
Peter has considerable experience in the strategic direction and establishment of “greenfields” centres of service excellence
together with the delivery of line, operational management within established businesses which need to become more customer-
centric always working in close partnerships with colleague functions to add value and meaning to the product proposition.
He has undertaken various roles, including IT, HR, Customer Service, Marketing Communications, Operations and
Programme/Project Management as Permanent Director, Interim Manager and Consultant, working with a number of high-profile
organisations in the UK, Europe, Middle East, USA, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Peter was the first HR Director at firstdirect as well as Customer Service Director for the year following its launch and was Vice
President, Customer Service and Systems for Telewest Communications – now absorbed into Virgin Media. He has also been
associated with the high-profile, blue-chip, new business start-ups of ITV Digital, GO Fly Airlines (now easyJet), Energis and O2 – to
name but four. Outside of the UK he has worked with organisations such as RGS Insurance (Russia), Kabel Deutschland (Germany),
Numericable (France), KPN Mobile (Holland), KPNQwest (Holland), E-plus (Germany), Saudi Arabian Airlines (Saudi Arabia) and du
Telecommunications (Dubai, UAE) and in the UK for Liverpool Victoria, Wanadoo (now Orange), Vodafone UK, Virgin Mobile, Kelda
Group, Mazda Cars, Open University, SAVA BX (HIPs – Home Information Packs – and EPCs – Energy Performance Certificates),
Peabody Trust, Metropolitan Housing Partnership, Amicus Housing Group, Hillingdon Housing, Broomleigh Housing Association,
Riverside Housing Group, Open University and a number of leading service ‘Outsourcers’, including Sitel, Echo, Loop, IBM and
Garlands, in the UK, India and South Africa.
Peter is passionate about people, is numerate, articulate, detailed where necessary, creative, leads by example and by positive
and inspirational two-way involvement, always keen to encourage and develop talent and self-sufficiency. He is an author
(Handbook of Customer Service from Gower), an International speaker (Australia, USA, UK, Europe and India), a Fellow of the
Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, a Chartered Management Consultant, a Fellow of the Institute of Management
Consultancy and a well known figure in the Contact Centre Industry.
Key skills and achievements
‘Customer Experience’ Management
• Designed and implemented B2C and B2B) end-to-end customer experience models to drive competitive edge and grow market
• Defined and managed integrated customer satisfaction programmes linking feedback ratings with enterprise remuneration
schemes to actionable functional plans
• Managed and directed large operational contact centres from an inbound, outbound, front and back office perspective –
across sectors including outsourcing, banking, telecommunications and ‘infotainment’.
• Defined and delivered linked volumetric models with KPIs, measures and integrated management reporting.
• Designed and implemented model office/service incubation models to test and trial end-to-end change initiatives.
• Designed and implemented complex customer-centric strategies across channels and segments – through people, process and
systems & technology enablers.
• Wide and functionally diverse business experience relative to service experience strategies as an integral part of proposition
• Designed and delivered service experience strategies across the enterprise and ensuring sustainability.
• Designed, developed and implemented radical people, change, development, training and differentiation programmes.
• Developed individual and team competencies and profiling across a range of businesses.
• Creation and use of human capital and knowledge to drive forward business direction and achieve strategic objectives.
• Defined and implemented ‘culture maps’ which clearly illustrate behavioural expectations and strategic business fit.
•Significant knowledge of the UK outsourcing market within the customer service sector.
•Several visits to India as a speaker, a reviewer of operational centres and a facilitator of new business opportunities.
•Considerable experience of working for UK outsourcers on both sides of the table – helping outsourcers to win business and to re-
engineer strategies, through to enabling end clients to select the right outsourcer and to evaluate incumbent outsourcer
competencies and performance.
•Established suitability of South Africa for a UK-based client and developing pricing options and initial sales strategies
•Operationally responsible for offshoring strategies in India, Dubai, South Africa and Egypt for a UAE based client
Transformation & Change Management
• Transformed second and third line technical support through revised customer segmentation strategies.
• Transformed the customer-centricity of an underperforming multi-play ‘infotainment’ (TV, fixed line telecommunications and
broadband) through delivery of a major customer satisfaction change programme, selection, deployment of a revised billing
solution and design and implementation of a new telephony platform. Overall responsibility for circa £30m spend and 1,000
front line resources across 7 UK locations.
• Developed a strategic plan for a 2,000 seat UK-based outsourcer, needing to transfer itself from a commodity provider to
value-add. Work involved full competitive analysis, client reviews, gap analysis and change projects as well as a review of the
future needs of the corporate governance model and options for growth and future sale.
• High touch customer-facing transformation of contact centre service delivery across the public, ‘social housing’ sector.
A brief summary of my experience, highlighting a number of key roles and assignments is as follows:
2002 - current Coalesce Consulting Limited (www.coalesce.biz ) Managing Director
& Mpathy Plus (www.mpathyplus.co.uk ) Director
Coalesce, is a niche consultancy specialising in the design and development of customer experience strategies and operational
implementation, together with business change initiatives across the private sectors. mpathy Customer Experience is a consultancy
focusing exclusively on the public sector and specifically, Housing, Education and Government.
du Telecommunications, Vodafone UK, Peabody Trust (Social Housing provider), Open University, Newcastle College, Engage
Mutual (Insurance), Direct Marketing Company (Italy), Sitel UK (Outsourcer), Verint (Technology provider), O2, easyJet (Holidays),
Garlands Call Centres (Outsourcer), SAVA BX (EPC provider), Tunstall (Alarms), Rosgosstrakh (RGS, Russian Insurer – 12 million
customers), Broomleigh Housing Association (Affinity Sutton Group), Hillingdon Homes, Riverside Group, Getronics UK (now part of
KPN, Holland), Watson Wyatt, One Housing Group, Echo Managed Services (Outsourcer), Trustmarque (Microsoft partner)
Dataforce (end-to-end marketing services provider).
Recent assignment examples:
du Telecommunications Dubai, UAE Director – Outsourced Operations
I have recently concluded an assignment working for a ‘quad play’ (Mobile, Fixed, Broadband and TV) operator based in Dubai,
UAE, helping them establish their offshore (India) outsourcing requirements. This role involved helping determine supplier
evaluation criteria, supplier visits, pricing, commercials and supplier selection. In addition I undertook an extensive audit/review of
the current Dubai-based operations (from technology and systems through to operational processes, people, motivation, work
force management, forecasting, modelling, management information and customer satisfaction, life cycle management (retention,
outbound contacts, welcome calling, promotional work)), presenting findings on this and readiness for outsourcing/off-shoring to
executive management and outlining the areas requiring improvement over a period of time and a plan for delivering change
within a focused roadmap. Following the successful appointment of a second offshore partner in India, I worked as short-term
Interim Director, responsible for Customer Service Outsourcing in the UAE, India and Egypt. This role involved managing the
supplier relationship, advising on operational transformation from on to offshore and producing an extensive set of best practice
documents to be used as the future template for partner management.
RGS Rosgosstrakh Moscow Interim Customer Service, Operations and IT Director and principal Business Modeller
I have worked in Moscow, as Interim IT, Customer Service and Operations Director, having designed a full set of business plans,
models and project plans and roadmaps for the launch of a new Direct business in the Insurance/Financial Services market.
• Directed a 14 month strategic service initiative as full-time Programme Director, for Vodafone UK – involving the provision of
a rationalised single 2nd and 3rd line technical support organisation for complex data products and services plus three other
initiatives involving customer service segmentation, retail interfaces and self-service web capability coupled with knowledge
management. The rationalised 2nd/3rd line technical support team work was achieved through the creation of an ‘incubation’
function which tested new processes, procedures, products, services, methodologies, systems, technology, routing, analysis,
KPIs, MIS, etc for Consumers, SMEs, Corporate and other customer groups.
• Review and comparison of O2’s UK customer retention activities undertaken through both in-house and an outsource partner
and recommending changes to contact strategies (outbound and inbound), systems, operational imperatives, campaigns and
agent reward structures, in conjunction with Marketing & Service Operations.
• Worked with a major Housing Association (a charitable Trust), reviewing and overseeing, as Programme Director, the
implementation of service change programmes.
• Worked for one of the UKs largest Housing Associations in determining their outsourcing model and enabling them to become
commercially focused in bidding for future out of hours and social ‘Careline’ services.
• Operated as key client representative (Italian client) in setting up and managing a UK-based third party outsourcer to deliver
an aggressive inbound and outbound sales activity (reactive and proactive) for the sale of consumer products.
• Operated as Project Director, setting up a trial facility for EasyJet, selling villa-based holidays and outbound calling Villa owners
to persuade them to join the proposition.
• Major strategic and operational review assignment of a significant UK Outsourcer (2,000 seats). The work involved the
establishment of a comprehensive competitive landscape of UK Outsource players; a complete end-to-end operational audit
of current operations; a detailed and comparative quantitative analysis of current client expectations of outsourcing and
actual performance versus the internal perspective; options for management of change; strategies for growth; strategies for
entering new market segments.
• Have been actively involved with several organisations in the HIP (Home Information Pack) marketplace which embodies the
residential private housing sector but in short timeframe will also encompass the rented, social and business property markets
in the UK.
• Work here involved responding to large corporate RFP documents on behalf of organisations bidding to become pack
providers (eventual market involves circa 1.7m transactions annually) and latterly in writing RFPs, managing the end-to-end
bid process including the appointment of onshore outsourcers for the provision of diary management and appointment
capability and also providing on-going consultancy for organisations actively involved with the provision of Energy Inspectors
to enable the EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) aspect of a HIP pack.
• I have also led a process for a significant UK-based outsourcing client to establish a capability in South Africa, involving full
potential offshore partner evaluations and assessments; undertaking detailed political, socio-demographic and economic
modelling and research; working with four regional BPO investment/sector bodies; managing, co-ordinating and leading visits
to likely partners/acquisition targets and locations;
• I have recently completed the writing of an RFP for a VoIP telephony solution for a major Housing Association in the public
sector; management of the supplier selection process and early stage project management.
• I am the main architect of an annual customer service benchmarking survey which mpathy Customer Experience run annually
with partners, HouseMark. In 2008 this survey covered some 35% of the entire social housing stock in England and Wales, is
well regarded and highly representative/significant.
• Currently working with a number of Housing Associations, reviewing their service performance and operational value for
money as well as evaluating customer strategies and options for change.
1997 – 2002 Customer Service Partners Limited Founding Director
A customer service/customer experience consultancy practice.
o.tel.o (Telco start-up - Germany), E-Plus (mobile provider – Germany), Saudi Arabian Airlines (Jeddah), ntl (Diigital TV licence
project), ITV Digital (Competitor to Sky), Yorkshire Water, T-Mobile, Cable and Wireless Communications, Dolphin
Telecommunications (Fledgling PMR and Mobile Telco provider), Wanadoo (ISP – now Orange Home Services), Virgin Mobile UK,
Vizzavi Europe (part of Vodafone), Liverpool Victoria (Insurance – new market entry strategy), KPNQwest (Holland – fixed line
Telco), KPN Mobile (Holland – mobile Telco), Flag Telecommunications (International provider to PTTs), 7C (Outsourcer), GO Fly
Airlines (now merged with EasyJet), EBS Building Society (Ireland), Derbyshire Building Society, Motorola (Mobile manufacturer and
service provider), Weststar Holidays, Mazda Cars, Numericable (French Cable TV provider), Kabel Deutschland (German Cable TV
1999 – 2001 ITV Digital Full-time Customer Design Director/Architect
From the initial pre-launch/post-licence bid stages, was employed as Design Director/Architect for Customer Management aspects
of the ITV Digital launch programme. Responsible for:
• Definition and design of extensive ITT documents for outsourcing of customer service facilities.
• Recommendation of organisations for the tender list and complete end-to-end process of supplier selection, including
supplier comparisons and evaluations and the chairing of the selection board.
• Contract negotiations.
• Design of the cultural environment and the culture map
• Definition and management of service processes.
• Detailed volumetric forecasting, modelling, unit costs and MI.
• Business (customer) processes.
• Systems and technology input (billing systems solutions) and overseas supplier selection.
• Marketing interfaces with service delivery, including fulfilment.
• Provision of management information.
• Resource training and other key areas of service differentiation.
• Managing the service operation on an interim basis.
1995 – 1997 Telewest plc Vice President of Customer Service and Systems
The UK’s second largest integrated cable television, Internet and fixed line telephony provider with circa 1m customers.
Following completion of a consultancy-based Board level Customer service audit, I joined Telewest with full executive responsibility
• Service Delivery Strategy, Policy and Execution. • Fulfilment; Ancillary Services (Operator Services,
• Processes, Practices and Procedures. • Directory Enquiries; Minority Services).
• Customer Management Systems (through an IT team Customer Contact and Correspondence (10m calls pa;
of 60). >1m customers).
• Customer MI and Reporting. • Operational Service via 10 Call Centres across the
• Billing and Payments. UK, including up-sales and cross-sales
• Operational Credit and Collections. • Customer Satisfaction Research and Analysis
• Appointed a new customer research organisation and designed and implemented an innovative approach to customer
satisfaction ratings, feedback and links to rewards – subsequently became an industry standard; appointed a research
company to undertake mystery shopping with regard to service satisfaction.
• Rationalised ACD and IVR strategies across the group – improving contact handling substantially.
• Developed and delivered a fulfilment/print strategy and invitation to tender (>20 million pages of print pa).
• Developed a radical customer services management information systems and reporting strategy and went to market for a
revised customer management and billing system solution having trawled the UK and USA for potential system integrators and
software product suppliers.
• Led work looking at the future use of ACDs and application bridges - linking to work flows, business processes, activity-based
costing and a range of other key issues and sponsored major projects in the billing payment/process areas of the business.
In addition I chaired the Billing Steering Group, was Project Sponsor of the Systems Project Review and Shared Services Team and
was a member of both the Operational and Strategic Management Boards.
1988 – 1995 Peter Murley Associates Managing Director
Provision of customer service and HR strategic consultancy and implementation.
Firstdirect (UKs first 24 x 7 ‘direct’ bank), Mercury Communications (Cable & Wireless), Cellnet (O2), Energis (fixed line Telco via
National Grid), RAC (Breakdown Services and other business interests), United Utilities (Outsourcer – Vertex – and Water Utility
provider), Videotron Corporation (Cable TV provider), Sony UK (Electronics), Mercury Enterprises (Various business ideas and
concepts for review and investment), Microtel Communications (now Orange).
Firstdirect Personnel & Training Director AND Customer Services Director 24x7 Direct Telephone Bank
As Personnel and Training Director and subsequent to launch, Customer Services Director, I was a full member of the Firstdirect
Board and one of five founder Directors (as an Interim/Consultant).
• Designer, developer, implementer of the culture and philosophy - based entirely around quality and professionalism of
customer service using selection and training methodologies and techniques hitherto untested to create a radically different
• Responsible for customer service strategy, implementation and management of over 400 staff providing front office (call
centre) telephone banking services and back office activities to the customer on a 24 x 7 basis.
O2 Customer Services Consultant & Interim Manager Mobile Telecommunications
Responsible for an extremely fast-track project (13 weeks to full launch), delivering a new set of capabilities to the mobile
telecommunications (initially analogue) consumer via indirect retail channels. Total responsibility for the development and delivery
of an integrated and seamless customer services function, through to the creation and on-going operational management of a
contracted outsourced delivery organisation.
Mercury (Communications and Enterprises) Project Manager Fixed
Responsible for one of four key strategic initiatives within Mercury Communications Limited. The work involved initial research,
preparation and presentation of an ideal "state of the art" action plan and philosophy for the future strategic use of customer
services through the leadership of an in-house project team made up of senior Mercury staff. The work culminated in Mercury
launching into the mass market and the development of their Wythenshawe 1,000 seat service centre operation.
I also led a project reviewing partnering opportunities with a US-based service provider with a view to offering ‘holistic’ service
facilities to Mercury telecommunications SME and Corporate customers.
PA Consultants Senior Consultant
BIS Software Ltd Worldwide HR Director
Unisys UK HR Director
CSC Interim HR Manager (UK and Switzerland)
Westinghouse Company Personnel Manager
Contact details: A: 22 Nursteed Road, Devizes, Wiltshire, SN10 3AH
T: +44(0) 1380 730212 M: +44(0) 7771 681991 F: +44(0) 1249 431060
E: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Marital Status: Married
Books: Gower Handbook of Customer Service 1997
Articles: Numerous service industry journals
Speeches: Numerous and varied - Worldwide