Occupation Attorney / Legal Advisor
Nationality South African
Ethnic Group White
Language English, Afrikaans
Drivers Licence Code 08
Desired job location Willing to re-locate
Current Employer Tile Source (Pty) Ltd
Cell phone +1561 319 0943 (USA)
Tel +27 11 462 4633
Residential Location Bryanston, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Attorney with over 2 years’ experience working for a large law Firm with an additional 2 years’ experience as a
Legal Advisor and Director of a private company. Strong knowledge of general legal practice with a
comprehensive understanding of tax law, company and corporate law, eviction and rental claims, labour law,
company secretarial law and commercial drafting. Successful track record in Magistrate and High Court
litigation. Proven ability in leading teams while demonstrating effective communication skills with clients,
colleagues and department heads. Currently seeking a position as a Legal Advisor at a medium / large
corporate entity, or a position as an Associate at a medium to large law firm.
University of Johannesburg
Higher Diploma Tax
University of Johannesburg
*Distinctions: Tax Law (2007), Law of Negotiable Instruments (2007), Law of Enrichment and Law of Estoppel
(2007), Bill of Rights (2007), Law of Insolvency (2007), Interpretation Theory (2006), Constitutional Law (2006)
University of Johannesburg
B.Comm Law Degree
Grade 12 (Matric)
Professional Courses / Training
• Tax Law Course
• Powerful Legal Writing Course
• Eviction and Rental Claims Course
• Master of Yachts Captain’s License for Vessels under 200 Gross Tons
• Safety Compliance Officer for Commercial Shipping Vessels
• Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Macintosh Applications: Pages, Numbers, Key
• Lexis Nexus
• Juta Stat
• Pastel Accounting
• Pastel Payroll
Areas of Expertise
• Tax opinions with a focus on corporate structuring.
• SARS dispute resolutions and objections.
• Magistrate and High Court litigation.
• Company Secretarial work.
• Labour Law, including CCMA dispute resolutions.
• Compliance Officer for a broad spectrum of
• Business management.
• Debt collection.
• Property Law.
• Landlord and tenant law, including Housing
Tribunal dispute resolutions.
• Commercial drafting and interpretations with a
speciality on tax law and property leases.
• Company start-up procedures, registration and
• Insolvency, liquidations and business rescue.
1. 2012 – PRESENT
Tile Source (Pty) Ltd
Johannesburg, South Africa
MANAGING DIRECTOR / LEGAL ADVISOR
• Directly managing a staff complement of 4 and a client list of 150+ throughout Gauteng.
• Interpreting and drafting supplier agreements, credit agreements, employee contracts and lease agreements.
• Structuring the company in the most tax efficient manner, taking advantage of various tax incentives,
rebates, exemptions and deductions.
• Implementing employee incentives and commission structures resulting in increased market share.
• Maintaining BEE ratings.
• Ensuring successful compliance with Companies Act, Consumer Protection Act, Tax Administration Act, VAT
Act, Income Tax Act, Labour Relations Act, General Accepted Accounting Principles and other company
• Acting as Public Officer of the company in relation to SARS and UIF.
• Managing company accounting obligations using Sageone (Pastel) Business Online accounting software,
including Pastel Payroll.
• Maintaining the company website and marketing protocols.
• Developing and analysing monthly management reports to increase sales and streamline the company’s
objectives and increase market share.
• Started the company with minimal capital and cash flow and increased to an annual turnover to more than
R2 million in 2.5 years.
• Implemented debtors book control measures, ensuring limited risk to the company thereby maintaining a
working cash flow for further business development.
• Successfully classified the company as a small business corporation resulting in decreased income tax rates.
• Implemented an effective tax structure for the company resulting in a total of R7k being paid to SARS in
terms of income tax obligations in 2 years.
2. 2010 – 2012
South Florida, United States of America
Palma Mallorca, Spain
• Directly managing a staff complement of 5 and Second-in-Command to the Captain.
• Managing various multi-million Dollar super yachts.
• Effectively complying with safety legislation through training and drilling crew members with regard to fire
fighting, abandon ship procedures, man over board procedures and various other potential incidents.
• Head of annual survey compliance with Cayman Island Shipping Registry (CISR) and the American Bureau
of Shipping (ABS).
• Acting as Navigation Officer in charge of chart work, course correction and officer-of-the-bridge watch
• Directly managing shipyard periods, including coordinating various contractors and sub-contractors to
complete all work before deadlines are due.
• Acting as Medical Officer and in charge of administering medications, recording medical data and charts as
well as managing medical inventory on board.
• Developing a strong work ethic amongst the crew promoting a team environment and ensuring the highest
level of professionalism and service is available to the owners and charter guests.
• 5 Year ABS and CISR compliance surveys completed and passed.
3. 2008 – 2010
Schindlers Attorneys, Notaries and Conveyancers
Johannesburg, South Africa
• Managing a staff compliment of 2 Article Clerks (2010).
• Handling domestic and international taxation with a focus on tax opinions regarding company structuring or
• Handling Magistrate Court and High Court drafting and litigation matters, including opposed and unopposed,
taxing bills of costs, motion court and trials, briefing advocates and various meetings in relation thereto.
• Commercial drafting and interpreting, including but not limited to, lease agreements, surety agreements,
credit agreements, shareholder’s agreements, pre-incorporation contracts and employee contracts.
• Compiling feasibility and due diligence reports on client’s immovable assets valued in the hundreds of
millions for sale and renovation.
• Debt collecting with a focus on arrear rental for commercial and residential tenants.
• Conducting company secretarial work ensuring compliance of various types of corporations with relevant
• Handling eviction and rental claims with a focus on urban development zones within Gauteng to incentivise
an upliftment project in the Johannesburg CBD.
• Making an appearance at Housing Tribunal on numerous occasions
• Handling liquidations and sequestrations.
• Attending divorce proceedings but only on a small scale, including a focus on minor children.
• Dealing with various aspects of CCMA dispute resolution.
4. 2005 - 2008
I was studying the B.Comm Law Degree.
5. 2003 – 2005
Ski Leading Tours
Zell am See, Austria
RESORT MANAGER AND SNOW SKI GUIDE
• Directly managing a staff complement of 2 and a client list of 200+.
• Managing inter-personal relationships between guests and various service providers.
• Event planning and managing within a hospitality background to cater to different guests and their needs.
• Resolving all guest complaints and concerns.
• Reconciling accounts for services provided to guests on a weekly and bi-monthly basis.
Career History: Previous Positions
TEAM WATER POLO COACH / 2
XV RUGBY COACH
2003 – 2004
BARMEN AND WAITER
• Strong prioritisation and time management skills with particular focus on meeting deadlines.
• Ability to prioritise and deal effectively with a number of tasks simultaneously.
• Able to handle change and adapt to new situations.
• Advanced analytical, troubleshooting and problem solving.
• Focus on accuracy and attention to detail.
• Excellent internal and external negotiation skills and ability to engage and influence clients.
• Proven leadership skills involving managing, developing and motivating teams to achieve their objectives.
• Focused, self-motivated and target driven; determined to succeed.
• Strategic, entrepreneurial ability to identify and develop opportunities.
“…Displayed good time management skills. He was a team player and was well liked by his peers and
superiors.” David Hepburn, Partner, Schindlers Attorneys
“Shaun displayed a good general knowledge of engineering. He displayed great problem solving skills.
Shaun was dedicated to each and every job assigned to him and completed his tasks in a professional,
efficient manner taking the initiative when needed.” Pedro Cordero, Captain, M/Y Camelot
“…Shaun was a very independent individual and knew how to solve problems using his initiative. He went out
of his way to make sure clients enjoyed their stay…Shaun knows how to take control of a situation and can
apply himself to any situation thrown at him. He is a team player and has a positive approach to everything
that he does.” Neal McAlpine, Director, Ski Leading Tours
“He has a fantastic sense of humour and is sure to make an impression with crew and guests alike. His
attitude and professionalism in the way he approaches tasks assigned to him make him one of the strongest
crew members I have ever had the pleasure of working with. In every aspect of our training he was the stand
out crew member.” Jason Hunter, Director, SYSA
Available on request.