Gartner predicted that CMOs will spend more on IT that CIOs by 2017
How to acquire profitable customers quickly tfm&a 2014
How to Acquire Profitable
Modern Methods for Modern Direct
A little bit about me
• IDM senior tutor and hon. Fellow
• Consultant: www.ThinkDirect.biz
• Love learning!
• Getting new customers STILL the number 1
priority for marketers today*
• Paid media is still the most popular tool for
acquisition, but “earned” or word of mouth
(WOM) making big inroads
• Marketing budgets increasing as confidence
*Source: econsultancy Marketing Budgets Report 2014
Planning for profit
And where next?
Planning for profit
Are you doing this?
Don’t just do what you’ve always done!
Adopt “team sky” approach
For really quick wins – planning is where you
need to spend the time!
• So start with your existing customers, who is
making you money and who is not?
What are your customers doing and what are
•Market research (what do they like?)
Specific very fast research www.fastmap.com
•Database analysis (who and where are they?)
•Campaign insight (what’s working)
•Inbound “touchpoint analysis” from f2f sales to web
Campaign touch point analysis
Using inbound marketing
allows tracking by all
A forgotten art?
Where you take a control sample and test
against it. Or do a split test (A/B)*
•Great direct marketers test
•They test the BIG things (DATA, media, copy, offer)
•They allow 20% of their marketing budget for testing
•They keep testing!
Some quick wins
• B2B – use tools such as www.leadforensics to
identify hot sales leads from your website
• H2H – integrate old methods (direct mail) with
Select prospect data
• For PROFITABLE acquisition
“chase the winners”
• Think SMART
• Copy the best
• Resource poor – recruit placement student or
• Invest in yourself and your team – build
“T”alent and skill up
• IDM courses and qualifications – full day on
17th March on Acquisition
• www.Cyance.com b2b case studies and
benchmark your data http://hub.am/1gdQlMs
and follow #idmb2btt