BELconference_NSIT_Shailendra-Singh

344 views

Published on

My presentation at the BEL (TEDx) conference at NSIT - The Journey of a Graduate to an Entrepreneur

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
344
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
3
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
2
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

BELconference_NSIT_Shailendra-Singh

  1. 1. The Journey from a graduate to an Entrepreneur Looking Beyond the Obvious 1IndieHaat Ventures
  2. 2. The Evil Indoctrination What we conveniently overlook about our environment around 2IndieHaat Ventures
  3. 3. 1. The Stigma Of Failure ‘Willingness to fail often determines the ability to succeed’ 3IndieHaat Ventures
  4. 4. Afraid of Jumping High Enough! - My bones are going to break harder than any other guy - I would Jump in the ditch only if I see somebody else do it The ‘Age-Risk’ Proportionality Index -The chances of failing in a foolish endeavour 1/(Age) - The Ego to avoid failure or embarrassment (Age) 4IndieHaat Ventures
  5. 5. 5IndieHaat Ventures Vinod Khosla (IITD, Silicon Valley Entrepreneur & Investor) Sun Microsystems | First Generation Entrepreneur & Billionaire
  6. 6. 2. Doing what you love is not that easy ‘There is not enough time in the world to go out and fulfil somebody else’s dream’ 6IndieHaat Ventures
  7. 7. Passive about your choices? - Miserable and Confused in your 20s is much more favourable! - Poverty is not permanent, Misery is and stays with you! Passion Vs Money - Fancy MBA degrees – End up as prime listings on matrimonial! - What career you want to have Vs what kind of life you want to lead 7IndieHaat Ventures
  8. 8. 8IndieHaat Ventures Guy Kawasaki (SV Evangelist and billionaire Investor) Worked with Steve Jobs in the Macintosh Division 83-87
  9. 9. 3. Creating a Impact – Disrupting the Status Quo ‘Not ready to settle for ‘inconsequence’ because my aspiration for the world and my life in it is beyond its mundane mediocrity’ 9IndieHaat Ventures
  10. 10. Mediocrity is ‘self-selected’; Change is a Challenge Impact should be 10x not 10% better - Experience is like mortgage, difficult to dump it aside and move on - Impact is not just about affecting lives; it is about creating ‘wealth’ - Right a Wrong; That distresses you about your surroundings - Technology is emancipating; Only few know how to use it 10IndieHaat Ventures
  11. 11. IndieHaat Ventures 11 Guy Kawasaki (SV Evangelist and billionaire Investor) “Experience is overrated when starting a company”
  12. 12. 4. ‘Naive’ Optimism with ‘Religious’ Fervour ‘The last time I felt really passionate about a cause was when I filed my 2+2 application for Harvard Business School’ 12IndieHaat Ventures
  13. 13. The Bozo Effect Vs The God Gene - - Bozos assimilate ‘influence’ quickly; champions of the status quo - Polarize ‘opinions’ and ‘people’; embrace uncertainty with courage Confidently say what they don't like? - Moving out of comfort zones creates out of the world ideas! - Entrepreneurs atheists to theology of ‘acceptance’; they change things to survive! 13IndieHaat Ventures
  14. 14. 5. The possibility – certainty Matrix What do you believe in – Possibility or Certainty? 14IndieHaat Ventures
  15. 15. Before Graduation Post Graduation 95% chance that you will succeed to graduate with a great job offer 95% chance that you fail to graduate with a great job offer Fear of Disappointment and failure 5% chance that if you start-up you will create a high impact change 5% chance that if you leave your six- figure salary you may not get back to it Fear of Disappointment and failure RISK AVERSE Failure is inconsequential ; kicks in courage RISK SEEKINGRISK AVERSE RISK SEEKING ‘Naive’ belief that failure can be avoided; kicks in courage 15IndieHaat Ventures
  16. 16. 95% chance that you will succeed to graduate with a great job offer 95% chance that you fail to graduate with a great job offer Fear of Disappointment and failure 5% chance that if you start-up you will create a high impact change 5% chance that if you leave your six- figure salary you may not get back to it Fear of Disappointment and failure RISK AVERSE ‘Naive’ belief that failure can be avoided RISK SEEKING RISK AVERSE RISK SEEKING ‘Naive’ belief that failure can be avoided Possibility Possibility Certainty Certainty 16IndieHaat Ventures
  17. 17. The Entrepreneur Gene -Learn to Accept Failures; Embrace uncertainty -Own your choices; Struggle to Discover what you would love doing for the rest of your life -Challenge yourself to make an Impact -Back yourself and your beliefs 17IndieHaat Ventures
  18. 18. Questions? IndieHaat Ventures 18

×