Understanding Google Analytics
How to Understand Bounce Rates
Google’s Definition Of Bounce Rate
“Bounce Rate is the
percentage of single-page
sessions (i.e. sessions in
which the person left your
site from the entrance page
without interacting with the
What Counts As A Bounce?
• When a user clicks on the back button.
• When a user types in another URL on
• When a user closes the tab or window.
• When a user clicks on an external link
from your page.
• When a visitor doesn’t interact with
your page for a given amount of time.
What Can Bounce Rate Tell You?
• Whether you’re providing
relevant information to your
• Whether your site is an
interesting online destination
• Whether you’re engaging your
visitors or not
• Whether your ad is congruent to
your website’s content
How To Improve Bounce Rate
1. Ensure that your site’s navigation is
easy and simple.
2. Avoid cluttering your site with
unnecessary elements above the fold.
3. Make sure that you site loads quickly.
4. External links should open in a new
tab or window.
5. Make sure you produce great and
For More Information Visit: