From virtual to cloud to
microservices – 10 tips from a
Sergio Loureiro, PhD
CEO, Founder at SecludIT
New technology equals New security risks
• Security is an after thought: Embrace change and get over it!
• Virtual and Cloud are mastered, right?
• Virtualization issues vs isolation: Example VENOM
• Cloud Security Alliance Nefarious 12
Case Study: AWS virtual machines security
• 22% of AMIs had private keys
• 98% of Windows had known
• 2 VMs compromised in less of 1 hour
• NEW: data not erased securely
The new kid on the block: Microservices
• Applications are composed of small, independent components
• Drop-in and highly decoupled blocks
• Components communicate with each other using APIs
• Drop-in Services are easy to replace
• Nothing new -> A.K.A. SOA (Service Oriented Architecture)
• Recently gained popularity thanks to REST APIs
• Simplifies packaging and deployment
• Guarantees portability, flexibility, isolation (?)
• Minimal requirements
• Ideal for building microservice-based architectures
Containers to scale in the Cloud – Automation!
What about Container Security?
• Are containers really isolated?
• Are images safe?
• How can we know if a container is vulnerable?
• How can we assess the security of our microservice ecosystem?
Top 10 tips: back to the basics in 3 steps (1/3)
• UNDERSTAND and PLAN
1. Audit Regularly your infrastructure, test like you test your code
2. Keep it simple… (KISS) -> containers are a good step to simplify
3. Understand and test attack surface of each technology
Top 10 tips: back to the basics in 3 steps (2/3)
TEST and CORRECT: Operations
4. Run trusted (=tested) containers
5. Automate everything to avoid manual errors and cost reduction,
use APIs, no agents
6. Perform often vulnerability assessment
7. Use tools that cope with bare metal, virtual, cloud and containers
(legacy in not going to disappear)
8. Patch and Remediate rapidly or replace containers with updated
Top 10 tips: back to the basics in 3 steps (3/3)
REPORT and SHOW
9. Monitor KPIs and risk, not logs and vulnerabilities -> actionable
10. Keep C-level informed, your budget depends on that for the next
NEW: Elastic Vulnerability Assessment for Containers
• Portability of containers to improve Vulnerability Assessment