Calculate the costs of nicotine addiction. Financial is just one measure. This slide show asks you some hard hitting questions. If you need some help to break through your denial, ask yourself these question.
E. Collateral Damage$
Decreased value of home: 30% $_______
Decreased value of vehicle: 10 – 30% $_______
Burned or ruined furniture $_______
Burned or ruined clothes $_______
Fire in home or vehicle $_______
Increased costs of Life Insurance Policies $_______
Tobacco related dentistry $_______
Loss of work due to smoking related illness $_______
Medical costs $_______
Are you ready for
the Grand Total?
Before you add up all the
financial costs, let’s look
at other damages you
may not be aware of:
What about costs to those around you?
• smoke while pregnant, or in the presence of pregnant
• smoke around babies or children?
• enable minors to use nicotine?
• smoke around your, or other people’s pets?
• smoke in a prohibited or dangerous area?
• steal cigarettes?
• buy cigarettes while neglecting food or other necessities?
• throw your cigarette butts out the car window?
• empty your car ashtray on the street?
• use government or insurance money for products or
treatments related to your smoking?
• know that due to lost productivity, health and nicotine
withdrawal many times a day, employers are out $6000 for
What about costs to your relationships?
• promise someone you would quit smoking and not?
• lie about your smoking to loved ones?
• choose only smoking friends or romantic partners?
• lose any relationships due to smoking?
• avoid activities like travel or movies, because you
couldn’t smoke freely?
• feel angry or abandoned by friends or family that quit
What about cost to your self-respect?
• scrounge & smoke someone else’s cigarette butts?
• ask for cigarettes from strangers?
• feel embarrassed or try to hide the smell on your
body, hair and clothes?
• feel embarrassed about yellowed teeth or fingers?
• feel guilt or shame due to smoking and/or inability
• feel like a bad role model for your children or other
young people in your life?
Total of Financial Costs (A – E):
Grand Total of ALL COSTS:
Have you and your loved ones paid enough?
How much more are you willing to spend?
How much more will it cost you?
Residential rehab for nicotine, alcohol and other drugs