Translation: Create the tallest construction possible using only straws and tape. The construction has to be able to stand on its own, without touching a wall, chair or table.
Disabilities and Inclusion
1. To seewhatitisliketohave "differentabilities"thanyou have
2. To experiencewhy somepeopleactdifferentlythanother
3. To research various celebritieswithdisabilitiesand seehow their
Whatdifferent abilitiesdo we have in our
• Who can ride a bicycle?
• Who can roller skate?
• Who knows their division tables really well?
• Who knows how to do long division?
• Who has really, really, neat handwriting?
• Who is good at video games?
• Who is good at football?
• Who can run fast?
• Who knows how to knit?
• Who can bake?
• Everyone has different abilities or qualities about themselves that make them unique!
• Who likes it when teachers/other students are understanding
when you make a mistake when reading or when you miss the
goal in football?
• Even though everyone has different abilities, talents and
qualities, we are the same in one basic way:
We all want other people to understand us and that we each have
Some born with
What does the word ‘disability’
Commonpart of our lives
To be differently abled (physical
way, way they learn, way they
In groups of 6…
• Each member will have a different job in the activity:
– One childis to be blindfolded
– One childneeds to tie a scarf around their ears so their hearing is
– One childwill have their thumbs taped to their index finger
– One childwillnot be allowedto use their dominant arm
– One childwill not be allowed to speak
– One childwill act asa ‘Leader’
• Your group will have 20 minutesto create as talla structure as
possible usingstraws and tape, but first…
• .elbat ro riahc ,llaw a gnihcuot tuohtiw
,nwo sti no dnats ot elba eb ot sah
noitcurtsnoc ehT .epat dna swarts ylno
gnisu elbissop noitcurtsnoc tsellat eht
• (Hint: They are written backwards!)
1. How did youfind theactivity?
2. Whatdid theblind personin yourgroup do?
3. Didmembers ofthegroup assumethatsince someone possesseda disabilitythattheywere not
capableofbeing an active member ofthe grouportheywouldonlybe able todo certaintasks?
4. Didanygroupasktheirmembers withadisabilitywhattheyfelt theycoulddo tocontributetothe
5. If youhada disabilityin real life,how wouldyouwantpeople totreatyouwhen doing something
such aswhatyoudid here?
6. Whatcould youdo differentlynexttime toimprove the experience forthe othergroupmembers?
• Eachgroupwill be given acelebrity withadisabilitytocreatea profileon. Theywill then sharethe
Christy Brown Emily Blunt Claude Monet Tom Cruise Beethoven