2. Structure your campaignsCampaigns Structure Interest Targeting Topics Targeting Placements Belgium FR - Promo Banners Contextual: theme A Contextual: theme B Contextual: theme C 10
2. Structure your campaignsHow to integrate Auction-based YouTube in your structure?Separate YouTube targeting in its own campaign• To allow every part of the Google Display Network to receive a well-distributed share of impressions.• To use specific cappings, CPC biddings, geographic & demographic bidding, and targeting methods to optimize the campaign for YouTube. 11
2. Structure your campaignsRemarketingSeparate remarketing targeting in its own campaign• Specific KPI’s for a specific audience.• Exclude it as an audience in other campaigns 12
Table of Contents1. Introduction2. Structure your campaigns3. Try out a variety of methods4. Analyse the performance & Optimize accordingly5. Semetis top tips 13
3. Try out a variety of methodsContextual targeting • Easy to implement • Quite accurate targeting • Requires more maintenance • Find the right balance between specific and generic keywords. Semetis tips Use a maximum of 50 keywords but a minimum of 20. Use negative keywords to filter out ambiguous themes. 15
3. Try out a variety of methodsTopic targeting • Target very specific sectors/categories • High reach • Limited amount of topics available • Reach within an undercategory can be limited (small countries) Semetis tips If you noticed that a chosen undercategory has too few impression, you can try to go back up one level. (ex: topic: Cycling to topic: real Individual Sports)
3. Try out a variety of methodsPlacements targeting • Very efficient especially if the placement offers complementary products • Strict control over where your ads appear • Competition can be fierce (high CPC) • Some websites only accept certain ad formats Semetis tips Add top performing placements from your contextual campaigns as managed placements in order to better control its performance.
3. Try out a variety of methodsInterest Based targeting • Important & qualitative reach • Good for branding purposes • Easy to manage once you find the right audience • It can be hard to find the right audience • This method can be expensive • No control over the websites where the ads appear Semetis tips Exclude specific placements where you do not want your ad to appear Consider a completely separate Campaign for that method.
3. Try out a variety of methodsRemarketing • The most advanced form of targeting • Higher convertion rate for Display • Address a specific message to a very specific audience • Technical implementations needed • Your audience must be 100 users strong Semetis tips Use the capping settings in order to limit the amount of times that a specific user sees your ad.
3. Try out a variety of methodsHow to find the right placements/audience/topic? Use the Google Ad Planner! >> https://www.google.com/adplanner 20
Table of Contents1. Introduction2. Structure your campaigns3. Try out a variety of methods4. Analyse the performance & Optimize accordingly5. Semetis top tips 21
4. Analyse & OptimizeWhich metrics? Relative CTR View through conversions Conversions CPC & CPM CTR Impressions New Visitors Avg Time on Site Pages/Visit Bounce rate 22
4. Analyse & OptimizeIncrease biddings/daily budgets based on metrics CTR > 0.10% Bounce rate < 50% Increase the CPC High avg time on site Increase the daily budget 23
4. Analyse & OptimizeEvaluate what the best topics are… Some topics do not have the same reach! … and the best audiences:The audiences havenot the same price! 24
4. Analyse & OptimizeManage the topics & audiences Increase CPC for this topic/audience Pause the topics/audience with low volume Try new topics with a higher reach Isolate a well performing topic/audiance in an adgroup 25
4. Analyse the performanceUse the reach & frequency report to set up yourcapping 26
4. Analyse & OptimizeUpdate your message frequently! Week 1 Week 2 -Sales- -40% Now! 40% on bikes now! Only 1 week left… www.velosfietsen.be www.velosfietsen.be 27
4. Analyse & OptimizeCustom report in Google Analytics Quality of the traffic – Goals completion Analysis 28
4. Analyse & OptimizeEvaluate your placements in Analytics Managed placement versus automatic placements? 29
4. Analyse & OptimizeAdd and Exclude placements accordingly 30
4. Analyse & OptimizeAdd more specific URLs with good performances 31
Table of Contents1. Introduction2. Structure your campaigns3. Try out a variety of methods4. Analyse the performance & Optimize accordingly5. Semetis top tips 32
6. Semetis top tips Different campaigns/accounts for Display and for Search Structure your adgroups and campaigns according to targeting methods The methods are complementary! Try several methods to see what works for you Allow some time before taking any conclusion and decision Regularly check the AdWords placement reports and Google Analytics Reach users more efficiently with frequency capping 33