The domain market experienced strong growth in Q1 2010. Sedo, one of the biggest playersin the market, saw an 18.6% increase in the number of sales this quarter compared with Q42009. Overall, 11,942 domains changed hands for $23,177,253. This marks Sedo’s highestquarter for domain sales since 2008. This study will review the trends and changes in the do-main market in Q1 2010, as represented by the Sedo marketplace.1. Division of Generic Top-Level Domain (gTLD) SalesDespite the introduction of new extensions, the .com remains the most popular top-leveldomain extension, accounting for more than 42% of all sales on the Sedo marketplace and76% of all gTLD sales.
2. Division of Top 10 Country Code Top-Level Domain (ccTLD) SalesThe .de and .eu extensions remain the most popular ccTLDs at Sedo. There was a slight incre-ase in the number of .de sales, 1802, compared with 1775 in Q4. This increase may be due tothe added exposure and media coverage for the newly released two character and number.de domains. Also introduced to the marketplace at the end of Q4 2009 were IDN .eu domains,which may have attributed to the overall increase of .eu domain sales in Q1 2010. The numberof .co.uk domains sold increased by 46% with 605 domains changing hands as compared to 414domains in Q4 2009.
3. Division of Sales per QuarterThe first quarter of 2010 resulted in the highest domain sales in the Sedo marketplace within asingle quarter since 2008. Compared with Q4 2009, there was an increase of nearly 19%. Thissignificant increase may be attributed to the redesigned Sedo marketplace, which launched atthe end of Q4 2009, as well as the overall growth of the economy thus far in 2010. 11,942 10,070 9,928 9,727 10,000 9,649 9,403 9,326 8,754 8,000 6,000 4,000 2,000 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q1 0 2008 2008 2008 2009 2009 2009 2009 2010
4. Division of Sales TypeBelow is a breakdown of the ways in which domains were sold on the Sedo marketplace in Q12010. Offer-Counteroffer sales remain the most prominent sales type. One significant changeis the 9% increase of fixed price domain sales compared to Q4 2009. As a result, selling fixedprice domains has become the second most popular sales type on Sedo’s marketplace, bea-ting out marketplace auctions for the first time. Sales per Channel Offer - Counteroffer Fixed Price Marketplace Auctions Auction Events Brokerage External Transfers
5. Number and Price Comparison (gTLDs)While the average sales price for .com domains decreased slightly, the .org extensionwitnessed an average sales price increase of $1,291. That said, it is noteworthy that the sale ofpoker.org, for $1 million, took place in Q1 2010. Due to this record sale, it is important to factorin the median price for a .org domain, which can be found in section 7. The average price for.biz domains decreased compared to Q4, which makes sense since there was a one character.biz auction running in Q4 2009, which led to an increased average sales prices during thatquarter. All average prices except for the .org and the .info extensions were lower in Q1 2010than in Q4 2009. However, even with this decrease in average sales price, we still considerthese results to be strong across the board. Average Sales Average Sales Average Sales Average Sales Average Sales Price Price Price Price Price TLD Q1 2009 in $ Q2 2009 in $ Q3 2009 in $ Q4 2009 in $ Q1 2010 in $ .com 2,527 1,768 3,301 2,582 2,373 .net 1,307 1,775 1,314 1,467 1,175 .org 978 1,016 1,511 2,085 3,376 .biz 571 591 566 3,377 1,224 .info 598 592 681 729 877
6. Number and Price Comparison (ccTLDs)While the average sales price for .co.uk, .es, and .eu extensions have dropped, other ccTLDextensions like the .de, .fr, and .at have seen significant increases in their average sales prices.In fact, the average sales price for the .de extension is up $83 from Q4, and .fr is just shy ofdoubling its Q4 average sales price. In this case we have to note that the record sale ofcredit.fr, for € 587,500, has significantly influenced the average price. Average Sales Average Sales Average Sales Average Sales Average Sales Price Price Price Price Price TLD Q1 2009 in $ Q2 2009 in $ Q3 2009 in $ Q4 2009 in $ Q1 2010 in $ .co.uk 1,444 2,556 2,122 3,283 2,283 .de 1,175 897 1,650 1,610 1,693 .fr 4,247 2,227 4,368 5,122 11,382 .es 1,899 1,115 2,161 2,001 1,360 .eu 1,168 834 1,329 850 523 .at 721 1,427 958 1,009 1,436
7. Median Sales PricesAs demonstrated in the previous sections, the average sales price can vary as a result of a fewlarge figure sales. Therefore, we are including the median sales prices for gTLDs, since they tendto remain more consistent and can serve as an indicator of the sales price for the majority of do-main sales. Below is a review of the median sales price for gTLDs. All median prices have seen anincrease, which is a strong indicator that the domain industry is continuing to see stable growth. Median sales Price Median Sales Price Median Sales Price Median Sales Price TLD Q2 2009 in $ Q3 2009 in $ Q4 2009 in $ Q1 2010 in $ .com 410 490 437 510 .net 520 501 498 521 .org 377 496 436 550 .biz 272 301 333 537 .info 219 291 253 418
8. Division of CategoriesWith Sedo’s updated categorization tool, there are now more categories withinthe Sedo database. As a result, we saw a variety of new popular categories onthe Sedo marketplace this quarter. Below is a list of the most popular categoriesin Q1 2010.Top 10 in Q1 2010 1 Tobacco 2 Software 3 Regions, Country, Cities 4 Distance Learning 5 Religion and Spirituality 6 Domain Industry 7 Consulting 8 Employment 9 Hardware 10 Insurance
9. Top SalesBelow is a list of the top 20 public domain sales that traded hands on the Sedo marketplace.The sum of the highest 20 domain sales, including confidential sales, reached almost $5.5million. For the first time we have a .org domain leading the pack at $1 million followed by accTLD, credit.fr for more than half a million Euros.Sedo’s Top 20 Public Domain Sales: Q1 2010 Domain Sales Price 1 Poker.org 1,000,000 $ 2 Credit.fr 587,500 € 3 Pilot.com 300,000 $ 4 Musicvideos.com 250,000 $ 5 Nasty.com 200,000 $ 6 Metal.com 165,000 $ 7 Migraine.com 125,000 $ 8 Dolcevita.com 120,000 $ 9 Website.de 101,150 € 10 Mec.com 99,000 $ 11 Designer.co.uk 76,300 £ 12 Golfcoursesguide.com 62,000 $ 13 Mysports.com 60,000 $ 14 Stockprices.com 60,000 $。 15 Comtech.com 60,000 $ 16 Isdb.com 53,500 $ 17 Lundi.fr 50,000 € 18 Items.com 50,000 $ 19 Golfzone.com 50,000 $ 20 Pepe.com 45,000 €
10. Looking ForwardIf the strength of Q1 2010 is any indicator, we expect to see big sales in Q2. As with the.biz auction, we can also expect that Sedo’s April .tv auction will result in an increase in thenumber of .tv domains sold through Sedo. Perhaps the most notable trend in Q1 was the in-crease in fixed price domain sales on the Sedo marketplace. We expect this trend to continueto grow in the future as buyers, especially first time buyers, tend to prefer fixed price domainsand more sellers are seeing the value in listing their domains for fixed prices.。