Enabling enterprise asset management (EAM) by leveraging and extending Maximo. Keynote given at the Facilities Maximo User Group in April 2014. Strategies include ISO 55000 alignment, project/contract integration and system alignment.
Maximo User Group Keynote - "Facilities" is Strategic!
Facilities IS Strategic!
Moving to Lifecycle EAM – 3 key tactics for today’s
Infrastructure and Maximo leaders
Scott Smith, PE
Former: PWO & Business Mgr, NAS Whidbey
Former: Navy Maximo & EAM Program Manager
Current: EAM Solutions Architect, TRM
Disclaimer: This brief does not represent any Navy positions or endorsements
Modified Navy Case Study from Pulse
2014. Co-presented with TRM –
strategic partner for Navy Maximo.
3 Tactics for “Lifecycle EAM”
1) Get Strategic – sell the Boardroom
• What is ISO 55000 and EAM? How to leverage?
• Is ‘Facilities’ and ‘Infrastructure EAM’ really strategic?
• Can ‘Lifecycle EAM’ improve our business & bottom line?
2) Integrate the EAM Lifecycle – sell Business Lines
• Integration is hard - organization, process & systems
• Business Line Leader – Can I just see “all” work?
• How to integrate MRO & Acquisition (Projects, Contracts)?
3) Deliver Compelling Functionality – sell Users
• This is REALLY hard for single platform systems
• Without vertical functionality, horizontal integration will fail
• Good news: Maximo evolution, GIS, Mobile, no coding tools
With reduced facility (and system) budgets, must “think out of the box”
What has changed since 2001?
LOTS of change but alignment & integration challenges remain
7.5/Web -> EAM
“… while [infrastructure entities] have made significant investments in the last
20 years, they are stand-alone systems with limited capability for sharing
information… isolated silos.” – ASCE – Integration of Infrastructure Processes
What Has NOT Changed?
People – processes, systems and integration must empower them
Facility/Asset Products & Services
I need compelling
functionality – NOW!
I need to see “ALL” work –
not navigate 10 silos!
Is our business getting good
value from our assets and our
asset management team?
Business at Top, People in the center
TRM Work Product
What is ISO 55000 and EAM?
Approach “Asset lifecycle value” from different perspectives
• Whole life optimal management of
the physical assets – design,
construct, maintain, replace… of
plant, equipment and facilities
• Improve utilization and performance,
reduce costs, extend asset life -
improve return on assets (value)
• "Enterprise" - mgmt of the assets
across departments, locations…
• Implemented business processes and
systems – “How to manage”
• use of a life cycle management
approach to realize value from asset
• Coordinated activity of an organization
to realize value from assets – to
achieve organizational objectives
ISO 55000 – Asset Mgmt System
• Holistic framework… policies, plans,
processes and information systems,
which are integrated to give assurance
that the asset management activities
will be delivered – “What to manage”
Strategy centric (“What”)
Enterprise Asset Mgmt
Execution centric (“How”)
Summarized from ISO 55000 documents
Good Source: Uptime Magazine
Putting ISO & EAM together
Winning combination – Strategy + Execution
Strategic Asset Mgmt
Plan & Objectives
Asset Mgmt Plans
Implement Plans across
ISO 55000 “Strategy”
“What to Do”
“How to do it” (People, Process, Systems)
TRM Work Product
Is “Facilities” really Strategic?
For infrastructure intensive enterprises, YES
Is “Infrastructure EAM” Strategic?
Yes - and let your CXOs know!
TRM Work Product
Lifecycle EAM – Business Value?
For a $1B Infrastructure “plant” – 40% is $400M
“Loss” (~ 40%)
Maintenance – Non-optimal
maintenance strategy and
execution (faster degradation)
Repair – Increased scope (cost)
to fix sins of the past
Reduced asset life –
Increases capital cost
TRM Work Product
Navy EAM Integration Mandate
Reduce shore costs to recapitalize Fleet (“Sea Enterprise”)
• Mandate: Move from silos to integrated ‘EAM’
organization – in 3 years
• Integrate functional silos – maintenance, projects, contracts
• Improve asset lifecycle – visibility, speed, quality, cost
• Integrate organization, processes and systems (in parallel)
• Key Challenges:
• Geography – 15K global users at 72 installations
• Asset scope - $150B in facilities, equipment, utilities, vehicles…
• Back office integration – Mainframe financials, DoD contracts
• Culture – MRO “blue collar” vs. Project/Contract “white collar”
• System “chaos” – 400+ local & regional systems (instances)
Business Realization: Organization and Process integration not viable
without single platform (“enterprise”) and integrated systems...
EAM “System Chaos”
400+ EAM Organization, Core Processes, and Systems
Goal: Globalize & Integrate
Integrate Organization, Processes and Core Systems – in 3 years
A) Single Platform
Maximo – 72 bases
B) Project &
C) Beyond systems:
Reliability & Value
Maximo – EAM Cornerstone
Core system – 72 global bases, all asset/work types, 10K users
“Acquisition Integration” Options
Several Project and Contract solutions available today
• Project Management Options
• Vanilla Maximo
• MS Project or Primavera Integration
• Composite Application (eProjects)
• Tririga Capital Projects
• Extend Maximo & Scheduler 7.5
• Contract Management Options
• Vanilla Maximo
• Primavera Contracts (Construction)
• Composite Application (eContracts)
• Emptoris – Preaward, RFP, Redline
• Extend Maximo for complex contracts
• Including construction mgmt
“Leading companies must
improve the whole contract
capital intensive companies
including defense, facilities”
- Andy Kyte, Gartner
TRM Work Product
2004 - From “CMMS” to “EAM”
Adding “composite apps” – 5K users. OK, how do we view all of this?...
Recent Emergency Work (Maximo) Active Projects (eProjects)
Recent Contract Awards (eContracts)
Key performance indiciators built from this data (ISO component).
Maximo 7x has robust Dashboard and KPI capability
2005 - Business Line Leaders
Hey, I CAN see “all” work! Can you put this on a map?...
Project Details (eProjects)
2007- OK, we can put “all work” on a map
That’s good, but can we connect field workers? ….
Employee and Client Portal with single sign-on
View Installation Map (GIS – ESRI)
View Building workorders (Maximo)
2014 – Yes, can connect Field Workers too
The “perfect integration storm” – Maximo-GIS-Mobile
1) Define asset segments in
2) Visualize assets and
work in Spatial
3) Automate field
work with mobile
Example below: Stormwater Management system
for State of Hawaii DOT (TRM)
FMMUG Briefs (& Pulse) - Georgia Power, Sarasota County
Pulse: 12 Maximo presentations with mobile
3) Beyond Systems
How do we ‘functionally leverage’ this integration?
Asset Plan Summary
(ISO 55000 component)
Maintenance & Capital
‘Gray collar” Leaders
If this “single platform”
system does not provide
the functionality – I’m going
back to Spreadsheets.
CIO: Hey, are people really
using these expensive systems
– if not, why did we integrate?
‘Single Platform’ challenges
Without compelling functionality – integration fails
• Support all Asset, Work, & Project Types?
• Assets – Facilities, Equipment, Utilities, Fleet…
• Work – PM, CM, Service, Repair, Renovation…
• Projects – Capital, Environmental, Real Estate, Planning…
• Support regional and local requirements?
• Currency, Foreign nationals, taxes…
• Enterprise and Department reporting…
• Timely changes and promotions?
• Keys to Success
1. Executive Sponsorship – we are doing this!
2. Empowered functional teams – decide “right” functionality
3. Flexible Core system – Maximo (screens, MIF, fields…)
4. No coding extensions & configuration, e.g. RulesManager
5. Data Store – Enable reporting “self service” to power users
6. MUST recruit/retain the “A” Team – functional & system
EAM ‘horizontal integration’ is nice
But are you delivering ‘vertical’ functionality for each user group?…
Core system tasks, transactional integration, data views
The Good News
Maximo Functionality and Tools continue to improve
Extending Maximo with minimal coding
Provide key functionality and simplify configuration
- Add fields, Tables
- Cloned Apps
- Modify screens…
integrated with Maximo
- Advanced rules & validation
- Composite tables & objects
in Maximo applications
IBM Blue Mix – Full
- Robust, Cloud-based
- Integrate multiple apps
Example: Lock-out Tag-out
“bolt-on” via TRM Rules Mgr
Gartner: “By 2016, midsize to large companies will spend
33% more on application integrations than in 2013”
3 Key Tactics to achieving Strategic “Lifecycle EAM”
• “Lifecycle EAM” is strategic – sell boardroom
• Facilities = Infrastructure = Strategic
• Mandate: Increase asset value to the business (ISO 55000)
• Requires Lifecycle integration – people, process, systems
• 1st Step: CXO sponsorship for strategic asset planning
• EAM system integration is key – sell BL leaders
• Must have an MRO core – asset registry, work, materials…
• Project Integration options – Maximo+/Sked, Tririga, 3rd Party
• Contract integration options – Maximo+, Emptoris, 3rd Party
• EAM functionality is ‘more key’ – sell Users
• Supporting ALL asset, work, project, contract types is hard
• Empower functional teams (not corporate) to drive apps
• Enabling tech: “no coding” extensions, data stores…
• After foundation is solid add icing: full GIS, Mobile…
Thank you for your time!