1 Veterans Drive #47, Mpls - Cell 612-730-6487 - email firstname.lastname@example.org
I have worked in the IT fields for 25 years, 10 years of that I have been a consultant working at many large, small and mid
range industries including Insurance, Health Care, Financial, Legal, Home Mortgage and Educational.
I am quick to learn new proprietary infrastructures and system designs. I am comfortable taking an opportunity and proceed
with little or no training.
Software: Word, Excel, Lotus 123, PowerPoint, Access, Novell 3.2 through 5.1, File aid, TSO, JCL, Zen works, Altiris, SMS, Lotus
Notes, Exchange, PROPS, WordPerfect, Word Star, Qubix, Corel Draw, PC Anywhere, Novell VPN, XP Remote Control, and many
other proprietary applications.
Languages/Scripting: Winbatch, DOS Batch, C++, COBOL, RPG II and III, Basic, Qbasic, HTML, Novell System login scripts,
Dbase, some Visual Basic.
Project Management Tools: NMS Console, Compaq Insight Mgr, Nettools, Saber, and Remedy.
Databases: Dbase III+ through MS Access for, Remedy, Top Hat,
Hardware: IBM, IBM Compatibles, IBM Mainframe 8030 & 8031, IBM System 32 through AS400 Minicomputers, Variety of
printers, hubs (synoptic), IBM servers, Compaq rack mount Proliants.
Applications: MS Office, Lotus Suite, Harvard Graphics, MS Works, WordPerfect, Lotus Notes, Exchange.
Industries: Insurance, Health Care, Financial, Legal, Home Mortgage, Educational
Operating Systems: DOS 2.1 through DOS 7, Windows 3.1 through 8.1 (including NT 3 through Windows 2000), OS/2
Methodologies: Lotus Notes, Dbase III+, FoxBASE, Access, Excel, Active Directory,
CERTIFICATIONS & TRAINING
• CSNA (Certified Saber Network Administrator), CNA (Certified Netware Administrator),
• CNE (Certified Netware, Engineer)
• Brown College, Benchmark Computer Learning
VAMC (Minneapolis, MN) 10- 2010 3-2015
I worked at the VA Hospital GS-5. I floated from Dept to Dept and worked in multiple assignments. Scheduling for providers, check
in and check out patients. Created MS Access databases for easier patient flow. Maintained multiple spread sheets
THE FOLLOWING JOBS LISTED FROM 1998 THROUGH 2010 WERE CONTRACT POSITIONS
NCS Pearson (Bloomington, MN) 1-2007 – 1-2008
My assignment was in the America Corporation office for Pearson. I Supported 3 levels of testing centers throughout the world.
Pearson owned, secondary, and schools and military. My primary duty was to keep the computers and network in the testing centers
operational and efficient. Secondarily I supported hardware/software at the testing sites for the test administrators to keep them
functional. Made sure sites stayed replicated with the latest drivers and security patches through Remote Maintenance and Altiris
remote control. I reset windows domain account passwords, created new users, and assigned group membership rights to the correct
employee’s through Active Directory.
Professional Experience Cont..
Self Employed (Bloomington, MN) 12-2005 to 12-2007
Help Desk/ Web Design
Owned and operated my own little ‘geek’ squad business supporting homes and small businesses involving hardware/software and
P2P network connectivity. I also built a few of web sites and submitted them to search engines for improved customer base for small
Fiserve (St. Louis Park, MN) 5-2003 to 12-2005
Worked as an accounts receivable agent concentrating mostly on past due accounts owed to the company.
American Express (Minneapolis, MN) 8-200212 2003,&6-9 1999
Help Desk / Customer Service
Help Desk/Customer service position with American Express, this position involved some training of Financial Advisors, and helping
with any general IT issues they had.
The project included documenting and designing the high-level desktop and application procedures and processes in Lotus Notes,
Power Point, and Visio. The project's focus was on IT security, Group, and User Administration. Secondary I worked at the Ops
Center as a Novell administrator.
Briggs and Morgan (Minneapolis, MN) 3-9 2001
Application Support Specialist
Created pushes and upgrades to applications using Zenworks 3. Supported 160 Applications mostly proprietary, 80 as the primary
support and 80 as secondary. Visual Basic Programming and Access DB administration
Musicland (Saint Louis Park, MN) 1-3 2001
Supporting MS Outlook, MS Office, Visio, Extra. Creating and support pushes for NetWare Application Launcher. Support the
remote-host application Citrix. Basic Novell NetWare support.
Conseco Finance (Saint Paul, MN) 4-9 2000
Network Administrator/Help Desk
Supported desktop applications such as Office and some proprietary applications. Since I was the resident CNE I trained the help desk
in Novell utilities such as Netadmin. DS repair, DS Merge, and instructed them tips on writing effective login scripts.
Minnesota School of Business (Brooklyn Center, MN) 6-1999 – 6-2000
I Instructed students in Novell server. I taught protocol and hardware configurations for various server topologies and platforms. I
was an instructor in a PC/Help desk class teaching various help desk theories and strategies. Supported, reconfigured, and redesigned
the server’s quarterly as needed.
United Health Care (Minnetonka & Golden Valley, MN) 1-1998 – 1-1999
Network Administrator/ Help Desk
I was given the project of fixing and redesigning the disaster recovery processes at their Golden Valley office. Monitored server
functionality and volume and server utilization using Compaq insight manager. When I started the disaster recovery project, UHC
was getting about a 20% success rate on the nightly backups. I reconfigured all the NT and Novell servers in Arcserve for identical
and redundant backup scheduling and schemes, within 3 weeks I was getting 100% success rate. Use of Remedy as documentation
SDG 5-1997 – 10-1998
I was a general consultant for SDG and not assigned to any specific project, I worked out of the office and was generally called on in
emergencies or when no other consultant was available. My consulting duties included server hardware and/or software upgrades,
some TCP/IP configuration, NetWare 4.11 administration, software and hardware support for the clients PC’s and laptops. Also
support for email clients, CD Tower, Windows, MS Office support. Some Rumba support for an AS 400.
Prudential Insurance (Plymouth, MN) 7-1989 – 5-1997
• Familiar with mainframe tools such as Fileaid and TSO.
• Designed code for a new random sampling program that uses the system clock as a random generator.
• Wrote new and modified existing COBOL and JCL programs for use in the Group Insurance departments.
• Each release I was responsible for documenting, writing, and testing new programs.
• Because of my PC experience I was the first to implement and test out Microfocus COBOL for the work bench which is
a PC based application running on OS/2 that allowed the programmer to create and compile code on a PC before
submitting it to the mainframe. This was a state of the art programming tool at the time. It allowed the programmer for
instance to step through code, input variables of the programmer’s choice without reading a file, and run the program
without having to compile it first. The testing I did was a success and the whole division switched from terminals to
IBM PC’s running on an OS/2 operating system.
• I was the project manager for 2 of the releases, both in 1991.
• Project manager for upgrading all in-house clients to DOS 5.0 and a Windows 3.1 interface. Personally directed training
and training procedures for end users and the other help desk analysts on how to use and maintain Windows.
• Installed and configured the Windows based network interface (Nettools) that was used in place of program manager.
• Installed and configured the Windows based network interface (Saber) for the field offices which allowed software
distribution, metering, individualized log-in scripting, and remote host/node access. Saber is a network tool related to
• Trained in-house and field coworkers on applications including but not limited to MS-Office, Lotus 123, basic DOS and
batch file writing functions.
• Trained in-house and in the field use of Windows.
• Configured the clients RAM and disk caching for optimal speed and efficiency.
• Was sole support technician for the case management software for the field offices, this application scraped policy
information off CICS screens and brought the information into a GUI interface for ease of use for the customer.
• Configured and maintained the field office and brokerage manager’s communication software and modems.
• Supported and configured NT workstations including network interface cards, print services, applications, and hardware.
• Maintained the CUBIX remote host server for field offices to access our LAN.
• Analyzed, updated, and implemented enhanced network security and created security reports using Frye Utilities for
NetWare and Bindview for upper management.
• Enhanced and added groups and rights for the end users, and implemented improved server directory structure for
increase efficiency and troubleshooting ease.
• Implemented a new system for LAN disaster-recovery procedures and off-site record storage.
• Configured servers for RAID 5 fault tolerance.
• Installed MS Office and trained in-house end users in Excel, Word, DOS, and basic Networking.
• Provided 3rd level of support for all LAN and desktop applications, hardware and related equipment.
• Trained the help desk personal on basic Novell utilities, functions, and troubleshooting techniques.
• Monitor ring and server utilization through NMS console.
• 24 hour on call LAN support through Frye’s early warning system.
• Update and maintained client network drivers, and server NLM’s and VLM’s as they became available.
• Implemented and automated viruses scan procedures for in-house end users.
• Created a procedure to automatically alert the network team and night shift personnel
Associate of Applied Science, Brown College 1987 - 1989