M4/12 – Business Studies
Departments inside a Business
• We shall now take a look at the organisation
inside a company or business.
• The business can be broken down into separate
departments that each provide a separate yet
• Human Resources
• Marketing and Sales
• Research and Development
• Information Technology
• Money, money, money.
• The measurement and reporting of all things relating
to the money within a business.
• Responsibilities include raising money to start a
business, paying taxes on time and paying for goods,
services or wages.
• Any action concerning the finance within a business
must be recorded and stored by the accounting
finance - the management of money
the money required to start and run a business
• The department within a business that is responsible for
the employees within a company.
• Hiring and firing of employees.
• Training of new and existing employees.
• Dealing and helping with any employees problems such
employees - the people paid to work for an organisation or
fire - to dismiss someone from their job, tell someone
they have lost their job.
train - educate an employee, help them to carry out their job.
Marketing and Sales
• Responsible for selling the companies products and
maintaining the relationship with the customer.
• Marketing – Promoting a companies product,
advertising, getting people interested in a product.
• Sales – Finding purchasers of a product, coming to an
agreement on the selling of a product.
• promote - help to make something popular
• purchaser - the person that is buying a product
• Makes the product or delivers the service.
▫ produces the raw materials into the delivered
• Customer Service
▫ supports customers who need help with the
product or service.
• Buying or purchasing raw materials or
• Responsibility of procurement to purchase
the right quality and quantity of goods and/
or services - at the best price.
Research and Development
• Finding out ways to improve a business by
increasing knowledge and using this knowledge
to create new applications.
research – to study a subject in order to find
out more information about it
development – the act of improving something
by changing it or making it larger
• Computers within business.
• The study, design, development, installation,
support or management of computer-based
information systems, particularly software
applications and computer hardware.
• IT deals with the use of electronic computers and
computer software to convert, store, protect,
process, transmit and retrieve information,
• Responsible for communication within the
organisation, as well as outside the organisation.
• Public Relations.
▫ Dealing with customer relations
▫ Making sure the public has a good impression of
• Provides administrative support for other
departments. Organising people and resources
▫ Data Entry
• Organisation by type
• Global businesses – complex organisation
• National – organisation possibly stretches
throughout the country
• Regional – could be through a county or wider
area (North West, South East, etc.)
• Local – small organisations serving local area