Applications of CRISPR-CAS
-By Sarika Dengle
Roll no: 10487
• CRISPR- Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short
• Recently developed system.
• Genome editing technique derived from the
bacterial immune system.
• Precise genomic modifications.
• Gene sequences can be included from a range of
Applications in Plants
• GE Crops:
• Better Pest Resistance
• Enhanced nutritional value
• Eg : White Button Mushrooms, Waxy Corn Hybrid.
• Crops with better root systems
• Haploid Plants
• Chemicals and Bio-materials
Applications In Animals
• Genetically engineer Embryonic Stem cells.
• Modify primate embryos
• Disease resistant Animals
• Eg: Pigs resistant to viral diseases, cattle resistant to
• Producing animals to give more yield.
• Designer babies and animals.
Applications in Bacteria
• CRISPR -CAS - Defense mechanism in 40% of
• This system on itself is lethal due to the NHEJ
pathway being ineffective.
• Targeting Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria
• Genome editing and Gene expression