COMPLICATION OF PROSTATE
• Prostate enlargement
• Inflammation of the prostate gland (Prostatitis)
• Prostate cancer
• Prostate enlargement, also known as benign prostatic
hyperplasia, is a common condition that affects older men.
• It is usually not a serious threat to health.
• Changes in hormone levels in a man’s body due to ageing
• Difficult for you to start urination
• Weaken the flow of urine
• Strain to pass urine
• Frequently need to urinate
• Wake up frequently during the night to
• Sudden urge to urinate
• Blood in the urine (haematuria)
• International Prostate Symptoms Score (IPSS)
• Urine tests
• Rectal examination
• Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test
• Finasteride or dutasteride
• Alpha blockers
Prostatitis is a general term that refers to inflammation
(swelling) of the prostate gland, which is caused by an
• A bacterial infection is only sometimes responsible.
• In many cases of chronic (long-term) prostatitis, doctors
can't find any infection in the prostate gland, In these
cases, the cause is poorly understood.
• Chronic prostatitis is thought to be caused by a number of
suggested factors, including partial blockage of the flow
of urine and underlying problems with the immune
system, pelvic floor or nervous system.
• Pain in the pelvis, genitals, lower back and buttocks
• Pain when urinating
• Frequent need to urinate
• Difficulty urinating, such as problems starting or 'stop-
• Pain when ejaculating, which may contribute to erectile
• Discomfort in the perineal area (the area between the
scrotum and the anus)
• Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men in the
UK, with over 40,000 new cases diagnosed every year.
• Prostate cancer usually develops slowly, so there may be
no signs you have it for many years.
• Ethnic group
• Family history
• Urinate more frequently, often during the
• Needing to rush to the toilet
• Difficulty in starting to urinate
• Straining long time while urinating
• Feeling that your bladder has not emptied
• Ask for a urine sample to check for infection
• Take a blood sample to test your level of prostate-specific
• Examine your prostate (digital rectal examination)
• Gleason score