Achieving Academic Excellence
by Mr. O.B. Sanni
In order to cope with the rapidity with which knowledge
itself changes, today’s student must seek to achieve
Proverbs 22vs 29 1peter 2; 9
Seeth thou a man diligent in his business? He shall stand
before kings; he shall not stand before mean men
What does it mean to achieve something? Or what is
in a lay man dictionary achievement means the action of
accomplishing something, or something that is achieved
What is academic
• Academic excellence is the demonstrated ability to
perform, achieve, and/or excel in scholastic
activities. Academic excellence has been identified
with achieving high grades and superior
• But academic excellence is more than just making good
grades. It is the maximum development of your
intellectual capacities and skills in service to
Achieving academic excellence is a process of both formal
and informal education. Indeed, education is a limitless and
unending process to be enjoyed for a lifetime.
As you continue your academic career, consider the
following suggestions which can help you achieve
• Select a major which has a strong basic curriculum as a
course of study.
• Complete a strong liberal arts and science background in
addition to your major field of study. Learn from other
• Learn from your students- 4th mainland bridge- eko and
• Learn to use the library and use it often, since it offers a
wealth of historical and current information which can
greatly enhance your classroom experiences and your
• Develop self-confidence, persistence and leadership
• Develop an attitude of social responsibility and an
understanding of cultural and intellectual differences.
• Participate in honors and enrichment programs. Surf the
internet for online programmes that will enrich your
credentials. E.g. ALISON
• Select friends who are dedicated and are serious about
they do in their chosen careers. Don’t just be a friend with
mediocre rather choose your friends wisely.
• Learn efficient management of your time. Stop
procrastination as much as possible
• Participate in summer enrichment programs such as,
summer research programs, or internships.
• Attend lectures, concerts, art exhibits, theatrical
performances, seminars, and other cultural activities
• Get involved in a club or activity directly related to your
major as a means of meeting other colleagues, faculty and
professionals in your study area.
• Seek opportunities to work with professors on special
projects in a research or teaching area of interest.
• BARRIERS TO ACHIEVING ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE
• Individual Risk Factors
• Low self-esteem
• Academic Performance
• Student Behaviors
• Adult Responsibilities
• Family Influence
• Socioeconomic Status
• Family Structure
• Socio-cultural Values
• Family Mobility
• Parenting Effects
• High School Effects
• Location and School Type
• Student Demographics
• Academic Policies and Practices
• Graduation Requirements
• School Structure Size and Organization
What are the benefits of achieving
• Making a meaningful contribution to society throughout
• Receiving academic scholarships.
• Selection for membership in professional and honor
• Admission to graduate or professional schools.
• Being competitive in the job market.
• Selection for competitive academic programs such as
summer enrichment programs or other special studies
programs during your undergraduate or postgraduate
• Being in a position to be of service to those with whom you