Five Things to Know about WrinklesCauses of Wrinkles and the Different Treatments for Them
Lauren Amico, PA-C, MMS• Although everyone associates wrinkles with aging, that’s not necessarily their primary cause. Knowing more about why wrinkles form can help you reduce the incidence and lessen the appearance of wrinkles. Board Certified Aesthetic Physician Assistant
1. Two Types of Wrinkles Furrowed Brow• There are two types of wrinkles caused by different factors. Dynamic or active wrinkles are those that are created from muscular movements, such as frowning or furrowing the brow. Static wrinkles are seen when the face is at rest and are caused by aging, environmental exposure, or lifestyle factors; dynamic wrinkles become static wrinkles over time. These wrinkles form when collagen is lost and the skin’s elastin structure is compromised.
2. Sun damage• Sun damage is the main catalyst for premature aging of the skin and is an easily preventable cause of wrinkles. Sun damage can be avoided simply by using an effective sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher. Sun damage also causes changes in the pigmentation of the skin and can lead to skin cancer.
3. Smoking• Smoking is another cause of wrinkles and skin damage. Nicotine deprives the dermis of oxygen, causing it to deteriorate. Cigarettes contain thousands of chemicals that also damage elastin and collagen, the proteins that make the skin elastic and strong. The act of smoking also creates dynamic wrinkles. Quitting smoking will prevent further damage, and topical skin products containing antioxidants, retinol, or vitamin C and E can help repair the skin.
4. Poor Diet• Poor diet is another factor that contributes to the appearance of wrinkles. Excessive sugar contributes to glycation, a process that causes protein fibers (including collagen and elastin) to become stiff. This contributes to wrinkle formation. Avoiding sugary foods and adding foods high in vitamin C, vitamin E, and antioxidants will improve skin texture.
5. Stress• Stress is another contributing factor in the formation of wrinkles. Prolonged stress can lead to dynamic wrinkles formed by repeated facial expressions such as scowling, frowning, or grimacing. These wrinkles can transform into static wrinkles through repetition. Stress reduction techniques can help prevent this transformation.
Reducing the Appearance of Wrinkles NonsurgicallyStatic Wrinkles Dynamic Wrinkles• Dermal Fillers reduce • Neurotoxins appearance of static immobilize/weaken muscles wrinkles that create dynamic• JUVEDERM wrinkles• Perlane • BOTOX• Restylane • Dysport
Botox Dysport• BOTOX® (Botulinum toxin) is a • Dysport™ relaxes facial neurotoxin drug that acts by muscles. It is made with the temporarily blocking nerve same ingredient as pulses in facial muscles. It BOTOX®—botulinum toxin tends to be most effective in type A—but in a different muscles related to expression formulation. Like BOTOX®, it lines around the eyes, forehead, and mouth. It tends to be most effective is often effective in areas in treating wrinkles caused where fillers may not be. by muscles related to BOTOX® is a very safe and expression lines around the effective injectable and eyes, forehead, and mouth. therefore very popular among patients.
Dermal FillersJUVEDERM Perlane• This product is a dermal filler • This dermal filler is the that is based on hyaluronic acid and works together with newest member of the the body’s own hyaluronic acid Restylane® family. The to create volume. Allergan difference in Perlane® is the officially released the product in January 2007, and LJCSC gel particle size. Perlane® was a testing site. Studies gel particles are larger and show that results last up to 6– designed for deeper 12 months. Juvéderm® is effective for the nasolabial injection than Restylane®. It folds, under the eyes, between works well for severe facial the eyebrows, and for lip plumping. wrinkles and folds.
Extensive, Deep Wrinkles• Surgical procedure might be necessary to meet goals• Facelift• Neck Lift• Brow Lift• Visit with a board certified plastic surgeon when considering surgical options
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery CentreLa Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre (LJCSC) is one ofthe premier cosmetic surgery practices in thecountry, with over two decades of experience in avariety of cosmetic procedures, including BreastAugmentation, Liposuction, Injectables, and more.With multiple doctors, we have qualified specialistsin many areas of cosmetic surgery, allowing eachpatient to receive excellent care to suit his or herindividual needs. Our state-of-the art surgical suiteis certified with the highest level of accreditationby the American Association for Accreditation of La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery CentreAmbulatory Surgery Facilities, Inc. (AAAASF), and is 9850 Genesee Avenueconveniently located on the Scripps Memorial Suite 130Hospital campus in La Jolla, central to the San La Jolla, California 92037Diego area. (858) 452-1981 (858) 452-9910 – faxConveniently located in the XIMED building on theScripps Memorial Hospital campus in La Jolla. Ouroffice is centrally located in the San Diegoarea, just minutes from the I-5 and I-805 freeways.