Samsung Open Source Group 1
Toward “OCF Automotive” profile
LFAGL F2F meeting
Samsung Open Source Group / SRUK
Samsung Open Source Group 2
Who am I ?
● Philippe Coval
– Software Engineer for Samsung OSG
● Belongs to SRUK team, based in Rennes France
● Tizen co maintainer and IoTivity commiter
– Worked along past Tizen and current AGL members
– Interests :
● Libre Soft/Hard/ware, Communities, Interoperability, DIY.
– Find me online
Samsung Open Source Group 3
Is Automotive a thing ?
● A car might become to transport
– what a phone is
● to oral communication
● It can do that
– But it is and can do much more !
● Car is a network of networks
● So 4 wheeled computers will be part of IoT !
– But one problem at the time.
Samsung Open Source Group 4
● Trust & Adoption
– Key Features : Security, Interoperability
● So Openness :
– Open Specification
– Open governance
– Community & Industry support
– IP Protection
Samsung Open Source Group 5
Open Connectivity Foundation
● Open Connectivity Foundation
– Defines open specification, FLOSS implementation
– Reasonable and non-discriminatory licensing (RAND-Z)
– OIC certifies members' (170+) devices
● to ensure : interoperability, adoption, time
● Profile based
– So Automotive ?
Samsung Open Source Group 6
● C/C++ library : FLOSS (Apache 2.0)
● Key Features :
– Resource Discovery (Multicast)
– Client Server model (RESTfull, CoAP, CBOR)
– Secure Transmission (DTLS)
– Designed to support any transports
● IP, BT, BLE, WiFi, + plugins (Zigbee, LTE, NFC, ...)
– Data & Device management
Samsung Open Source Group 7
Samsung Open Source Group 8
Why OCF Automotive Profile ?
● To play along other
– Profiles / products : SmartHome devices, Cars
– Network : IP, WiFi, BT, BLE, to LTE? LPWAN?
● Could Support Automotive's :
– Protocols : CAN...
– Technologies : RVI...
– Operating Systems :
● Linux, Yocto, AGL, Tizen, GENIVI...
Samsung Open Source Group 9
Multi context scenarios
● At (Smart) Home :
– Notification from/to car :
● Kids reached school, Mom reached office
● Door/Hood unlock warning, Alarms...
● In a (Smart) Car :
– control, monitor events from/to home
● Open door, tune A/C, turn on light etc
● Shopping list updated, suggest new trajectory
● With a (Smart) Phone, Watch, Whatever
– Peripherals control : HVAC control from devices
Samsung Open Source Group 10
It started with Demos !
● Genivi OCF Demonstrator 20160427
Samsung Open Source Group 11
How we did it ?
● On embedded device : (VTC1010 or MinnowMax)
– Integration of IoTivity (meta-oic layer)
● IoTivity Servers for : Peripheral Fan & GPS
– Remote Vehicle Interaction (RVI)
● On commercialized devices :
– IoTiovity clients apps
● Map view of GPS, switch buttons (Tizen Mobile and Wearable)...
– RVI to OCF gateway (nodejs ubuntu)
– Gateway can reside in cloud, smarthome or vehicle.
Samsung Open Source Group 12
● Automotive Grade Linux
– Has meta-oic but it's not enough
– Noticed Issues with recent poky (security checks)
● IoTivity desired version ?
– 1.1.0 : aligned to upstream (working to upstream)
– Or back port to 1.0.1 ?
● And pick meta-genivi-ocf-demos
● Build agl image with iotivity gps / map app :
– git clone meta-yocto-demos ; git branch -a | grep agl
● Stay tuned at : https://wiki.iotivity.org/yocto
Samsung Open Source Group 13
Samsung Open Source Group 14
● Join our forces, define common interfaces
● Then deeper integration on platforms for :
● Public infrastructures, SmartCities ?
● Network (Radio)
– Services & Usages
● Interact with environment
● Using existing commercialized devices
● meta-ocf-automotive ?
Samsung Open Source Group 15
Resource definitions and more...
● Same semantics
– But different representations or technology ?
● Vehicle Signal Specification (VSS)
– From RVI (dynamic with include mechanism) YAML based
● W3C is moving from WebIDL to WebSocket
– VSS will be adopted as the W3C standard
● OCF uses RAML (based on YAML too)
● Translation before Unification ?
– Share resources definition
● Generic types and logic, Visibility and security ?
Samsung Open Source Group 16
IoTivity is a RESTful architecture
– Data Model repository
– RESTful API Modeling Language
● RAML > JSON > CBOR
– Example : OICGeolocaiton
● Usage :
– Web Service Interface (WSI)
Samsung Open Source Group 17
● Automotive are part of IoT
– is an open technology
– Profile oriented
● Try our ConnectedCar demos
● Next, move to standardization
– OIC automotive profile group is open to all