“The Worthy Lamb”
August 9, 2015
First Baptist Church
What’s the number one thing?
The Glory of God!
1 Corinthians 10:31 NKJV
31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of
August Memory Verse
James 1:12 NIV
12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test,
that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who
• Revelation: A Complete Commentary by William R. Newell, Word Bible
• Revelation: by Dr. Chuck Missler, a YouTube Video
• The MacArthur Study Bible NKJV, Nelson Bibles, 1997
The Challenge of Our Revelation Study
• Limited time (7 lessons)
• Focus on Jesus as Savior and not “End Times”
– To stimulate you for a small group study
– Provide a framework for study
– Provide a general timeline of events
• Pre-Tribulation focus (Rapture before Tribulation)
• We do not all agree on this approach
Review of Revelation Chapter 1
• The Apostle John writes Revelation while banished to Patmos for
preaching the Gospel.
• A blessing is promised to anyone who hears or reads Revelation.
• A vision of Jesus as the Son of Man is revealed.
Vision of Jesus as Son of Man in Revelation 1
“Outline for all of Revelation”
19 "Write, therefore, what you have seen, what is now and, what will take place
Review of Revelation 2 & 3
• Letters to 7 churches in Asia (Turkey now)
• Jesus’ letters dictated to John for distribution
• Gives commendation for things doing well and concerns for areas of
• Closing in all: “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the
Applications of Revelation 2 & 3
1. For the local churches in 95 A.D.
2. Warning to ALL churches over time
3. Personal – applies to me
4. Prophetic – Outlines a profile of the church in periods of history
- Order of 7 letters in Revelation is important
- We are in the last church period (The Lukewarm Church of
Review of Revelation 4
1 After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven.
And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a trumpet said, "Come up
here, and I will show you what must take place after this.”
– Rapture has occurred and believers are with God
– Church age has ended (…after this.”)
– A look into the future
2 At once I was in the Spirit, and there before me was a throne in heaven with
someone sitting on it. 3 And the one who sat there had the appearance of jasper
and ruby. A rainbow that shone like an emerald encircled the throne.
– The “Throne Room of Heaven”
– Description is of the person
– Beyond description and beyond comprehension
4 Surrounding the throne were twenty- four other thrones, and seated on them
were twenty- four elders. They were dressed in white and had crowns of gold on
– Who are the 24 elders in the Throne Room?
• Represent the redeemed
• Overcomers who have been awarded a crown
• They sing praises as they cast their crowns before the throne
Song of Praise to God by the 24 Elders
10b They lay their crowns before the throne and say:
11 "You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they were created
and have their being.”
6 Also in front of the throne there was what looked like a sea of glass, clear as
crystal. In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they
were covered with eyes, in front and in back. 7 The first living creature was like a
lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was
like a flying eagle. 8 Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was
covered with eyes all around, even under its wings.
Emblems for the Camps of Israel
• Camp of Judah on the East – Lion
– Tribes of Judah, Issachar, Zebulon
• Camp of Reuben on the South– Man
– Tribes of Reuben, Simeon, Gad
• Camp of Ephraim on the West – Ox
– Tribes of Ephraim, Manasseh, Benjamin
• Camp of Dan on the North – Eagle
– Tribes of Dan, Asher, Naphtali
Camps of Israel in Wilderness
Camps of Israel & Throne Room
4 Living Creatures (Zoa)
• Similar descriptions for seraphim in Isaiah 6:2 and cherubim in Ezekiel 1:4-
• Supernatural and indescribable angelic type beings with 4 different faces
(Lion, Man, Ox, Eagle)
• All sing praises to God
The Praises of the 4 Living Creatures
8b Day and night they never stop saying:
"'Holy, holy, holy
is the Lord God Almighty,
'who was, and is, and is to come."
Preview of Revelation 5
• The scene is the “Throne Room of Heaven”
• John witnesses the 24 elders and the 4 living creatures worshipping and
saying praises to God as the Creator and Sustainer
• John now witnesses a 2nd vision of Jesus as a slain lamb
Schematic of Throne Room in Heaven
Throne Room in Heaven
Throne Room in Heaven
1 Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on
both sides and sealed with seven seals.
‒ Scroll is the title deed to earth (Jer. 32:7-15)
‒ Outside writing is summary of inside contents
‒ 7 seals indicate finality and privacy
7 Sealed Scroll
2 And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, "Who is worthy to break
the seals and open the scroll?" 3 But no one in heaven or on earth or under the
earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. 4 I wept and wept because no
one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside.
“Who is worthy?”
• The scroll had to be opened by a descendent of Adam (a man)
• It had to be opened by a sinless man
• Kinsman Redeemer described in Book of Ruth
– Kinsman (next of kin) to redeem property
– Able to redeem (sinless)
– Willing to redeem
– Assume the obligations of the beneficiary
5 Then one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of
Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its
‒ Descriptions of Jesus as Messiah of Israel
‒ Genesis 49:8-12: Jacob blesses his sons
‒ Isaiah 11:1-10: Prophecy of lineage of the Messiah
6 Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the
throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had
seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all
the earth. 7 He went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the
7 Horns and 7 Eyes
• 7 Horns signify absolute power
– The number 7 represents completeness or perfection
• 7 eyes are the 7 fold ministry of the Holy Spirit sent to the earth
2 The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him—
the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and of might,
the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the Lord —
3a and he will delight in the fear of the Lord.
Slain Lamb with Scroll
What is the Sealed Scroll?
• The Book of Judgments from God
• Title deed for the earth
– Leviticus 25:23-25 The right of an original family to repurchase their
land in The Year of Jubilee
– God is giving the earth back to Jesus for His Millennial reign
because He purchased it with His blood.
Significance of the Lamb taking the Sealed Scroll
• This begins the enthronement of Jesus to return to the earth and reign.
• All events of history have been leading up to moment for the Scroll to be
• Jesus is the only “worthy” one and is not seen bowing down to worship.
8 And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty- four elders
fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden
bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God's people.
‒ Harps are symbolic of praise & prophecy in Ps. 33:2; 1 Chr. 25:6;
1 Sam. 10:5
Significance of the “bowls full of incense”
• Bowls of incense with smoke represented the prayers of the people rising
to God in OT.
• Here they represent the prayers of the saints.
– Lord’s Prayer: “Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, as in heaven,
so on earth.”
– We are praying for the coming of this moment in history for Jesus to
9 And they sang a new song, saying:
"You are worthy to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
because you were slain,
and with your blood you purchased for God
persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.
10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
and they will reign on the earth."
The New Song
• The praises in the “new song” are about the worthiness of Jesus to open
the scroll because of the redemption He purchased for us.
• “kings and priests”
– Believers in Jesus are members of the special kingdom of Jesus.
– They will reign with Him on earth (millennial).
– As priests, we have direct access to God.
11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands
upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the
throne and the living creatures and the elders.
– Phrase for “too many to count”
12 In a loud voice they were saying:
"Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
and honor and glory and praise!”
‒ Note the 7 qualities intrinsic to God and to the lamb that demand
‒ There are no limitations!
13 Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and
on the sea, and all that is in them, saying:
"To him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb,
be praise and honor and glory and power,
for ever and ever!"
14 The four living creatures said, "Amen," and the elders fell down and worshiped.
What happens next?
• In Revelation 6 the Lamb (Jesus) starts opening the 7 seals and the 7 years
of the Tribulation begins (70th Week of Daniel).
• Revelation 6-19 describes the events (judgments) of the Tribulation Period.
• Revelation 19 -20 describes “The Thousand Years or Millennial Reign of
Christ” on the earth.
Worthy (Greek is “axios”)
• We are worthy of God’s acceptance and approval ONLY because of our
redemption in Jesus Christ.
• Outside of Christ we are only worthy of punishment.
• Our praise belongs to Christ.
• “Worthy is the Lamb”.
“Worthy Is The Lamb”
• Thank you for the cross, Lord.
Thank you for the price you paid.
Bearing all my sin and shame, in love you came
And gave Amazing Grace.
• Thank you for this love, Lord.
Thank you for the nail-pierced hands.
Wash me in Your cleansing flow, now all I know…
Your forgiveness and embrace.
• Worthy is the Lamb
seated on the throne.
We crown You now with many crowns
You reign victorious!
High and lifted up
Jesus, Son of God.
The treasure of Heaven, crucified…
Worthy is the Lamb.
The Plan of Hope & Salvation
John 3:16 NKJV
16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever
believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”
John 14:6 NKJV
6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the
Father except through Me.”
Romans 3:23 NKJV
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
Romans 6:23a NKJV
23a For the wages of sin is death,
Death in this life (the first death) is 100%.
Even Jesus, the only one who doesn’t deserve death, died in this life to
pay the penalty for our sins.
The death referred to in Romans 6:23a is the second death explained in
Revelation 21:8 NKJV
8 “But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral,
sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with
fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”
Romans 5:8 NKJV
8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners,
Christ died for us.
Romans 6:23b NKJV
23b but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Revelation 21:7 NKJV
7 “He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be
Romans 10:9-10 explains to us how to accept Jesus as our Savior.
Romans 10:9-10 NKJV
9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that
God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one
believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto
Romans 10:13 NKJV
13 For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”
If you have questions or would like to know more, Please, contact First Baptist
Church Jackson at 601-949-1900 or http://firstbaptistjackson.org/contact/