The Glory of God!
March Memory Verse
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of
Spring 2015 (March – May)
Lessons in the Minor Prophets
• Are We Living in the End Times? By Tim
LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins, Tyndale House,1999
• The MacArthur Study Bible, NKJV, Thomas
Nelson Publishing, 1997.
• Revelation 20, Dr. Chuck Missler, YouTube
• www.gotquestions.org/endtimes (Got
The Minor Prophets
• Hebrew Bible treats these as a single book
– “The Book of the Twelve Prophets”
• English versions separate into 12 books based
on the name of the Prophet
• Not in chronological order in Bible
• Major vs. Minor – based on length of writing
• Only 4 mentioned elsewhere in Bible (Micah,
Jonah, Haggai, Zechariah)
The Prophet Zephaniah
• Ministry was probably from 635-625 B.C.
• Was a contemporary of Prophet Jeremiah
• During reign of King Josiah 640 – 609 B.C.
– Josiah was anointed Judah’s King age 8 years
– Reigned for 31 years
– Instituted religious reforms in last years of
Zephaniah’s ministry 628 B.C.
– Reforms began with discovery and reading of
Book of the Law (2 Kings 22:8)
Review of Zephaniah 1:1–2:3
• Describes the judgments of the Lord on Judah
in 587 BC (50 years later)
• Describes the judgments of the Lord on the
world and Israel during the Tribulation Period
• These judgments are referred to as the “Day
of the Lord”
• The sins described are idolatry and
“A Call to Repentance”
3 Seek the Lord, all you meek of the earth,
Who have upheld His justice.
Seek righteousness, seek humility.
It may be that you will be hidden
In the day of the Lord's anger.
(Zephaniah means ‘you will be hidden’)
Zephaniah – Only One Piece of the
Tribulation & Millennium Puzzle
• Definition – divine administration of a period
of time, a divinely appointed age
• Primary Principles:
1. A consistently literal interpretation of scripture,
especially with Biblical Prophecy
- Pretribulation & Premillenium (Rapture before
2. A distinction between Israel and the church in
God’s program (Not Replacement Theology)
• Preceded by the Rapture of the Church
• All about Israel and nonbelievers
• Interpreted as lasting 7 years
• Time of the Antichrist
• Many Jews will become believers
• “Day of the Lord” – God’s wrath poured out
– Seal, Trumpet & Bowl Judgments
• Ends with Battle of Armageddon
The Millennium/1000 Years Rein
• Begins with Christ returning to earth with His
own (The Glorious Appearing or 2nd Coming)
• Christ will occupy the “Throne of David” and
Israel returns to their “Promised Land”
• Resurrected saints will reign with Him over Israel
and all nations on earth
• Satan is bound in Abyss for 1,000 years
• Major changes in earth’s climate, geography, flora
• Israel’s neighbors from all 4 directions will be
punished in Tribulation for mistreating Israel
– Philistia in west (v. 4-7)
– Moab & Ammon in east (v. 8-11)
– Ethiopia in south (v. 12)
– Assyria in north (v. 13-15)
• Israel will occupy all of these neighbors land in
5 Woe to the inhabitants of the seacoast,
The nation of the Cherethites!
The word of the Lord is against you,
O Canaan, land of the Philistines:
“I will destroy you;
So there shall be no inhabitant.”
6 The seacoast shall be pastures,
With shelters for shepherds and folds for
7 The coast shall be for the remnant of the
house of Judah;
They shall feed their flocks there;
In the houses of Ashkelon they shall lie
down at evening.
For the Lord their God will intervene for
And return their captives.
• After the Tribulation and judgment of the
neighbors of Israel, the Millennium is
– All gods of other nations will be reduced to
– The Lord Himself will be universally worshipped
• Zeph. 2:11; Isaiah 66:18-21; Zech 14:16; Mal. 1:1
11 The Lord will be awesome to them,
For He will reduce to nothing all the gods
of the earth;
People shall worship Him,
Each one from his place,
Indeed all the shores of the nations.
The Lord Universally Worshipped
18 "For I know their works and their thoughts. It
shall be that I will gather all nations and
tongues; and they shall come and see My glory.
Worship in the Millennium
16 And it shall come to pass that everyone who is
left of all the nations which came against
Jerusalem shall go up from year to year to
worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep
the Feast of Tabernacles.
11 For from the rising of the sun, even to its
My name shall be great among the Gentiles;
In every place incense shall be offered to My
And a pure offering;
For My name shall be great among the
Says the Lord of hosts.
• Return to prophecy about Jerusalem and its
upcoming judgment by destruction of the city
and the Exile of Judah to Babylon
– It has become a city of tyranny
– There is corruption and no justice
– The priests and prophets are unfaithful to the Lord
– The Lord had taken up residence in Jerusalem, yet
the people refused to draw near to Him in worship
1 Woe to her who is rebellious and polluted,
To the oppressing city!
2 She has not obeyed His voice,
She has not received correction;
She has not trusted in the Lord,
She has not drawn near to her God.
(Skip to v. 8)
• Describes the Great Tribulation
– The last 3 ½ years of the Tribulation
– Often called the 70th week of Daniel
– Triggered by the “abomination of desolation”
– Dan 12:1 “a time of distress such as never
occurred since there was a nation until that time”
– The Bowl Judgments: The Wrath of God in Rev. 16
8 "Therefore wait for Me," says the Lord,
"Until the day I rise up for plunder;
My determination is to gather the nations
To My assembly of kingdoms,
To pour on them My indignation,
All My fierce anger;
All the earth shall be devoured
With the fire of My jealousy.
• The blessings of restoration for God’s people
and the nations for the Millennium
– Restore a pure language(speech)
• Inward cleansing from sin manifested in speech
• Conversion of remnant of Israel
– Nations able to worship in Jesus’ presence
– Material prosperity and peace
– Enjoy the rich blessing of God undisturbed
9 "For then I will restore to the peoples a
That they all may call on the name of the
To serve Him with one accord.
(Skip to v. 12)
12 I will leave in your midst
A meek and humble people,
And they shall trust in the name of the Lord.
13 The remnant of Israel shall do no
And speak no lies,
Nor shall a deceitful tongue be found in their
For they shall feed their flocks and lie down,
And no one shall make them afraid."
• The messianic era of millennial blessing is
– Rejoicing that Israel’s day of judgment is past
– Israel’s King is residing in her midst
– The Lord will exult over His people with song
– Israel will become a source of blessing to the
world, fulfilling it’s original destiny
14 Sing, O daughter of Zion!
Shout, O Israel!
Be glad and rejoice with all your heart,
O daughter of Jerusalem!
15 The Lord has taken away your judgments,
He has cast out your enemy.
The King of Israel, the Lord, is in your midst;
You shall see disaster no more.
(Skip to v. 17)
Zephaniah 3: 17
17 The Lord your God in your midst,
The Mighty One, will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing.
Salvation for Israel
25 … that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the
fullness of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And so all Israel will be
saved, as it is written:
“The Deliverer will come out of Zion,
And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;
27 For this is My covenant with them,
When I take away their sins.”
• A significant number of Jews will be saved during the
Tribulation and the Millennium
20 At that time I will bring you back,
Even at the time I gather you;
For I will give you fame and praise
Among all the peoples of the earth,
When I return your captives before your
Says the Lord.
Who will be present on earth in the
1. Resurrected believers with glorified bodies
– Tribulation martyrs
– OT Saints
2. Survivors of the Tribulation with natural
– Jewish & Gentile believers (Tribulation Saints)
Purpose of Millennial Reign?
• To fulfill the promises God made to the world
that cannot be fulfilled while Satan is free and
humans have political authority.
• The Land Covenant to Israel (Deut 30:1-10);
• The Davidic Covenant (2 Sam 7:12-17, Luke 3:23-38);
• The New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:33)
What will life be like on earth during
the Millennial Kingdom?
• Characterized by harmony, peace,
righteousness and long life
• Death for unbelievers born in Millennium
• Limited evil – still born with sin nature
• Great increase in world population
• All nations worship Christ in Temple
• Not yet in eternity – Heaven awaits
11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the
Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future.
• God keeps His promises!
• God is sovereign and everything will unfold as He
• Trust Him!!
The Plan of Hope & Salvation
John 3:16 NKJV
16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His
only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him
should not perish but have everlasting life.”
John 14:6 NKJV
6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and
the life. No one comes to the Father except
Romans 3:23 NKJV
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of
Romans 6:23a NKJV
23a For the wages of sin is death,
• Death in this life (the first death) is 100%.
• Even Jesus, the only one who doesn’t deserve
death, died in this life to pay the penalty for
• The death referred to in Romans 6:23a is the
second death explained in Revelation 21:8.
Revelation 21:8 NKJV
8 “But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable,
murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters,
and all liars shall have their part in the lake which
burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second
Romans 6:23b NKJV
23b but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus
Romans 5:8 NKJV
8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in
that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Revelation 21:7 NKJV
7 “He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I
will be his God and he shall be My son.”
• Romans 10:9-10 explains to us how to accept
Jesus as our Savior.
Romans 10:9-10 NKJV
9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord
Jesus and believe in your heart that God has
raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes unto
righteousness, and with the mouth confession is
made unto salvation.
Romans 10:13 NKJV
13 For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD
shall be saved.”
If you have questions or would like to know
more, Please, contact First Baptist Church
Jackson at 601-979-1900 or