Welcome, Introduction of Presenters, Company & Presentation Topic Related to Business Research
SEARS was Founded during 1886 in Chicago, Illinois. R.W. Sears(1863-1914). A.C.Roebuck (1864-1948). Both President and Chairman are involved in major private U.S. Investment firm ESL Investments Inc.
Other Brands and Business Sectors:PartsDirectOutletThe Great IndoorsSEARS GamesCraftsman ToolsExtreme Makeover- Home Edition
Priority scale similar to U.S. Private bank’s mortgage payment collection system.
52 small and large size stores are closing in year 2009, including Kmart & SEARS Grand/EssentialNet income for the 4th quarter in 2008 was $190 million as compared to net income of $426 million in 2007.
Sales of dry groceries, perishable foods and alcoholic beverages all showed strong results (11%, 11.5% and 18.5% respectively).
Research Data TypesPrimary Data Secondary Data•Questionnaires •Customer behaviour analysis•Interviews•Focus group interviews •Data by marketing organisation•Observation•Case-studies • Annual company reports•Diaries•Critical incidents • Government statistics.•Portfolios. Page 9 16/09/2012
2) Information Search• 52 Stores are Closing in 2009.• Net income declined from $426 M to $190 M. Page 10 Source: SEARS Annual Report 2008 16/09/2012
2) Information Search (Cont.)•The key to Walmart’sgrowth in 2008 :food departments.•Due to economicdownturn, Walmart isreceiving more upscaleshoppers. Page 11 Source: Wal-Mart Annual Report 2008 16/09/2012
2) Information Search (Cont.)• Hudson Bay Company is a privately owned organization from 2006.• Cutting 1,000 jobs to save $150 million in 2009.• No plan to close store. Jeff Sherman, CEO of Hudsons Bay Trading Co. Page 12 Source : www.hbc.com 16/09/2012
2) Information Search (Cont.)• Macys will lay off 7,000 workers.• Starbucks will slash up to 6,000 jobs and close 300 stores in 2009.• Target is laying off 1,000 employees. Page 13 Source: Montrealgazette.com 16/09/2012
3) Problem Analysis• Merge of Kmart(bankrupt) on 2005.• Merge of Bear Stearns with JPMorgan on 2008.• Financial Market Crisis on 2008. Page 14 16/09/2012
3) Problem Analysis (Cont.)• Strong competition with retail giants like Wal-Mart, Target, Home Depot, Best Buy in U.S.• Canadian Tire, Hudson Bay, Future Shop in Canada. Page 15 16/09/2012
4) Alternative Evaluation• Extended market (food, low income customers, teen)• More effective inventory control. Efficient pricing policy. Page 16 16/09/2012