What is Whiskey/Whisky?
Whiskey or Whisky is a spirit
distilled from fermented
mash and aged in wooden
Malt Whiskey: Made by
distilling Barley in pot still.
Grain Whiskey: Made by distilling
maize grains in patent still.
What is Distillation?
Heating a Liquid until it boils, then condensing
and collecting the resultant hot vapors.
Types of Distillation
Types of Scotch Whisky
Single malt is malt whisky from one distillery.
E.g. Glenfiddich, Macallan, etc.
Vatted malt is a blend of malt whiskies from different
distilleries of Scotland.
Blended Whiskies is a blend of malt and grain
E.g. Johnnie Walker Red, J&B Rare, etc.
Single Grain is grain whisky from a single distillery.
E.g. Cameron Brig
Malt Whisky regions
• Highlands: Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Glen Grant,
• Islay (Islands)
Brand names of Irish Whiskey
• Blends: Jameson, Millars, Black Bush, etc.
• Pure pot still: Green spot, Redbreast,
Midleton 25 years old, etc.
• Single malt: Bushmills, The Irishman Single
• Single grain: Greenore
• Bourbon whiskey: Jim Beam, Old Forester, etc.
• Tennessee whiskey: Jack Daniel’s, George
-Corn whiskey: Mellow corn, Georgia Moon,
-Rye whiskey: Copper fox, Heaven Hill
Brands of Japanese whisky