Personal Finance Unit Plan
Saving & Investing
Objective 2: Analyze the appropriate situations in which to save or invest.
• Compare consumer choices for saving and investing
• Summarize how inflation affects the value of money.
• Examine reasons for saving and investing, e.g., time value of money
• Compare the risk, return, liquidity, manageability, and tax aspects of
• Demonstrate how to buy and sell investments.
• Analyze factors affecting the rate of return on investments (e.g., Rule
of 72, simple interest, compound interest).
• Evaluate sources of investment information.
• Examine how agencies that regulate financial markets protect
• Demonstrate how to evaluate advisors’ credentials and how to
select professional advisors and their services
• Suggest appropriate types of savings or investing plans based on
• Explore potential investment opportunities for students now.
• Analyze the risk level of specific types of investments in our current
• Venn Diagrams
Goals for Graduates
1. Examine the basics of our economic system and how it works in relation to our
2. Develop teamwork, critical thinking, and organizational skills needed for the future.
3. Develop skills that will be of personal value to them in their daily lives and in the
world of work.
4. Evaluate the role of educated consumers.
1.1 Develop questions and ideas to initiate and refine research.
3.2 Develop and apply strategies based on ways others have prevented or solved
3.5 Reason inductively from a set of specific facts and deductively from general premises.
3.8 Assess costs, benefits and other consequences of proposed solutions.
• See Attached Page
• See Attached Page
• Journal: What is the difference between saving & investing?
• Journal: Would you rather put your money in a bond for 20 years with no risk
and double your money, or put your money into stock with a high risk, but have
a chance to earn 10x your money?
• Journal: Would you rather have $100 today, or $150 1 year from now? Why?
• Journal: Name as many words or phrases associated with the stock market that
you know of. Do you know what they all mean?
• Journal: Would you rather invest in Wal-Mart, or a small new technology
company out of Silicon Valley? Why?
• PPT – Time Value of Money
• PPT – Saving & Investing Options & Risk
• Brittany Spears Retirement Article
• PPT – The Stock Market
• Group types of investments by saving or investing.
• Group types of investments by level of risk.
• Future Value Practice (Comparing Simple & Compound Interest)
• Venn Diagram comparing types of investments.
• Practice Rule of 72 (ML Packet)
• Practice Simple & Compound Interest (ML Packet)
• Simple Vs. Compound Interest Worksheet
• Create posters of various types of stock
• Stock Market Internet Search – Determine which markets and indicators contain
students’ stocks from the Stock Market Challenge. Why are these stocks in the
market/indicator they are?
• Determine how specific types of investments relate to the 5 risk levels in our
• Suggest appropriate types of savings or investing plans based on given scenarios.
• Discuss “Investing Early Table” and what students could do now to secure their
Day Learning Goal Hook Activities Homework
1 To be able to Journal: What is • Types of Investment • Create a
compare different the difference Activity: Group by Venn
ways of saving or between saving & which is Saving & Diagram
investing money. investing? Which is Investing. comparing
• PPT: Saving & 2 or more
Investing (Types of of the
• Teach Skill – Venn s discussed
Diagram in class.
2 To analyze the Journal: Would • Review types of • None
risk level of an you rather put investments. Give a
investment. your money in a scenario of a person,
bond for 20 years and have students
with no risk and suggest appropriate
double your investments.
money, or put • Levels of Risk
your money into Activity: Group
stock with a high investments by risk
risk, but have a level.
chance to earn • PPT: 5 Elements of
10x your money? Risk
• Revisit the levels of
risk – Any changes?
• Put students into
groups. Give each
group one type of
have them discuss
how each of the 5
risk factors are
related to that
3 To be able to Journal: Would • PPT – “Time Value of • Simple Vs
calculate the you rather have Money” New Terms Compound
future value of an $100 today, or & Rule of 72 Interest
investment. $200 1 year from • Practice Rule of 72 Worksheet
now? Why? (ML Packet)
• PPT – Simple Interest
• Practice Simple
Interest (ML Packet)
• PPT – Compound
• Practice Compound
Interest (ML Packet)
• Revisit Journal –
which would be
calculations to find.
(Use “N-Table” From
• View and discuss
4 To be able to Journal: Name as • Grade SvC Interest • None
identify the many words or HW
various stock phrases associated • PPT – The Stock
exchanges, and with the stock Market, Markets &
indicators. market that you Indicators
know of. Do you • Computer Lab –
know what they Stock Market
all mean? Internet Search
(Using stocks from
5 To be able to Journal: Would • PPT – The Stock • None
identify the you rather invest Market, Earnings &
various types of in Wal-Mart, or a Types of Stock (how
stock. small new to find earnings
company out of • Groups – give each
Silicon Valley? group a type of
Why? stock, and have
them create a poster,
information found in
• Groups present
posters and teach
class about the stock.
6 Review Day
7 Exam Day