Feature Caching is a mode in FME for workspace authoring. It’s basically a way to store data for future access. Feature Caching can save you time and make you more productive – if you know how to use it.
Though not complicated to learn, Feature Caching is often overlooked by FME users because they don't know how to get started. In this webinar, learn the basics of Feature Caching, including:
- Common uses
- Partial runs
- Collapsed bookmarks
- And more!
Afterwards, you’ll feel confident using Feature Caching in your workflows and will improve the way you author workflows.
Meet the Presenter
What we’re covering today.
● Why Feature Caching is the
coolest thing ever
● When it isn’t so cool
Type in your questions
throughout the webinar.
It’s also being recorded and a copy
of the video, slides, and workspaces
will be emailed to you.
What is Feature Caching, and how can it help me?
What is Feature Caching
● Stores a copy of the features output for each transformer in workspace
● Workbench setting - is not saved in workspace
● Does not apply when workspace run in Quick Translator, FME Server, or command
When should feature Caching not be used?
● Rasters are usually quite large
● A copy must cached to disk for each transformer
● FME optimizes raster handling for best performance
● Caching disrupts raster optimization
When working with rasters:
● Disable Feature Caching
● Bookmark and collapse raster section in mixed raster/vector workspaces
Workﬂows using Variables
● VariableSetter and VariableRetriever often used to eﬀiciently transfer information
between feature streams and to create lookup tables
● Variables stored in memory and not cached with features
● Variable state lost in partial workspace runs
Workﬂows where feature order is important
● FeatureMerger, Clipper oﬀer performance options if feature order can be controlled
○ ie. Clippers First option
● Order may not be the same from caches of multiple streams
FME Evangelist Blog, with more examples:
Feature Caching can help you develop
Feature Caching should not presently
be used when feature order is
important, or when variables are used.
Try it Yourself!
Download FME 2021.0 Download the
workspace from this
Apply it to your own
data to manage
Free Trial | Upgrade
Get a free trial of FME at safe.com/trial
Type in your
questions for Q&A