• Indian company that started as foodie bay back in 2008 from
Gurgaon before it was rechristened to Zomato in November ,
• features restaurant information such as scanned menus and
photos sourced by local street teams, as well as user reviews and
ratings. The company also provides cashless payment, online
ordering, white-label apps, table reservation, and point-of-sale
• In 2012 , it spread wings globally and started acquiring
restaurant listing companies in emerging markets.
(co-founder and ceo)
• worked as a management consultant with Bain and Company in
New Delhi prior to Zomato.
• It was at Bain that Deepinder conceived the
idea of an online restaurant information
service after seeing the demand for menu
cards among his colleagues.
• left Bain in 2008 to start Zomato (then
foodiebay) out of his apartment and has
since overseen strategy and product development.
• Deepinder graduated with a Mathematics and Computing degree
from IIT Delhi in 2005 and hails from Muktsar in Punjab.
Business expansion and
strategy of Zomato
•The six year old company currently operates in 23+
countries including India, Dubai, UK, Brazil, Canada,
Australia, Turkey, Poland and New Zealand.
•However, with on paper companies, Zomato's presence
has crossed to over 40 countries in the world.
•In 2011, Zomato started its operations in various cities like
Hyderabad, Pune, Chennai, etc. and also launched
applications for cellular devices.
• In the same year only, Zomato came up with a out of the
box idea and created a website named “zomato.xxx” , a
site dedicated to food porn
• Later on Zomato also collaborated with Citibank to
launch a print version of the content on the website
known as the “Citibank Zomato Restaurant Guide”.
• On 15th October, 2015 Zomato changed business
strategies from a Full-Stack market to an enterprise
market. This led to Zomato firing 10% of its workforce
which equals about 300 people.
Acquisitions by Zomato
• Urbanspoon was its largest acquisition for $52
million in January and marked its entry into the
US, Australia and Canada markets.
• Last year, Zomato had acquired dominant local
restaurant search players in New Zealand,
Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Turkey and
Major Competitors of Zomato
There are lots of competitors available but
majorly there are 3 :
2. Just eat