The 2018 Farm Bill
Programs and Policy Director
Allegheny County Conservation District
What do we do at
• Provide technical assistance to urban and
rural producers: soil health, nutrient
management practices, and USDA programs.
• Regulate nutrient and manure management
on livestock operations (Act 38 and Ch. 91)
• Conduct soil health research in partnership
with other organizations and producers.
• Collaborate on food system policy and
• Preserve farmland though the PA and USDA
Easement Purchase Programs.
What are our needs?
• Continued funding for programs like EQIP that
provide implementation assistance.
• Funding for conservation planning.
• Funding for outreach, especially to underserved
• Research grants for innovative practices and farm
• Funding for urban agriculture, soil health, and
community food systems work.
• Agricultural Easement $ to prevent development
of high quality farmland and support modernization
2018 Farm Bill Highlights
• EQIP and CSP (and RCPP Program)
• CIG and On-Farm Research Grants
• ACEP (Ag Easement) Program.
• Urban, Indoor, and Emerging Agricultural
Production, Research, Education, and Extension
• Creation of an Urban Ag Office at USDA
• Creation of pilot rural-urban County Committees
• Local Ag Market Program (FMPP/VA/LFPP)
• Community Food Projects (CFP) Funding
• Industrial Hemp Production
• Organic Cost Share Funding
• Extension Funding
• Outreach and Assistance for Socially
Disadvantaged Farmers and Ranchers and
Veteran Farmers and Ranchers Program
• Beginning Farmers and Ranchers Development