What is Blogger?
• Co-founded by Evan Williams and Meg Hourihan of Pyra Labs in 1999
• Struggled because of resistance to support advertisements
• Bought out by Google in 2003, major redesign in 2004 leads to Blogger
becoming the 16th most visited site in 2007
• Free !!!
• Easy to use interface
• Very customizable
• Google analytics
• Limited in comparison
• Google owns your
• 100% Control
• Access to thousands of
• You own your own
• Requires paid web
• Can be unreliable
• User interface can be
Key Performance Indicators
• Overall blog visits (Analytics)
• Breakdown of traffic source
• Top viewed posts
• Average views per post
• Social shares
Tips & Cautions
Like all social media sites, just be careful what you blog. Especially on
blogger because when people tell stories they tend to give away too
much information (landmarks, names, etc.)
Who uses blogger?
While most “serious” bloggers use WordPress, a lot of small businesses
use them to connect with customers who might not live in the
What’s in store for the future?
Well a possible threat for Blogger is the fact that a lot of people have
termed it a “training wheels” website. This can result in eventually
blogger becoming outdated as people become better at blogging and
more willing to pay for it.