S O U T H S H O R E C O M P U T E R R E P A I R
N O V E M B E R 2 0 1 0
Wordpress: What Is It And
Why Should I Use It?
What Is Wordpress?
WordPress is one of the most popular blogging tools available. It can be used as
a blog, a website or a content management system.
Top Five Reasons To Use Wordpress For Your Website:
1. Search Engine Optimization
2. Content and Content Management
3. Extensions and Applications
5. One-Click Installation on many hosting provider websites
You can use Wordpress.com for quick and easy setup and hosting of your blog or
website. Or, you can install Wordpress (for free!) on your own domain…
Wordpress.com Vs. Wordpress.org
Which version of Wordpress is right for you? The chart below might help you decide…
• Easiest way to get started
• Pick from list of available themes
• Hosting is free (there is a $15/year charge to use your own
• You have complete control over the look and feel of your
• You can install any WordPress plug-in to extend the
functionality of your site
• Must choose only from their list of themes available, and you
cannot customize them directly
• Cannot install plug-ins to extend the functionality of your site
• Sometimes they show ads on your site
• A hosting provider that allows you to have MySQL
databases and FTP access.
• Knowledge of how to use FTP to transfer files, create a
MySQL database and edit configuration files.
• You need to manage your own backups.
Unless you’re creating a website for a business, South Shore Computer Repair
recommends that the average user will find the free version of Wordpress.com the easiest
way to begin. The beauty of this is that if you decided you really want your own domain, all
of the content can be easily migrated from .COM to a self-hosting .ORG version.
The best resource that we have found – for free and on the web – for getting
Wordpress up and running on your own domain (i.e. www.SSC-Repair.com) is
WebMonkey.com’s “Get Started with Wordpress.” You can find this excellent
resource at: http://www.webmonkey.com/2010/02/get_started_with_wordpress/. It
is an easy to follow step-by-step process for installing the free Wordpress.org
If you want to be using the Wordpress.com version, then Wordpress themselves
have an excellent resource for getting started. You will find their instructions at:
South Shore Computer Repair uses Wordpress to run our website as well as the
websites of many of our clients. If you need help getting up and running with
either version of Wordpress, give us a call. We can setup a training session to
walk you through the basics and help you get started.
A F F O R D A B L E I T S E R V I C E S F O R E V E R Y O N E
South Shore Computer Repair
T H E T R U S T E D I T S E R V I C E S P R O V I D E R A N D P A R T N E R
F O R I N D I V I D U A L S , H O M E O F F I C E S A N D S M A L L
B U S I N E S S E S I N S O U T H E A S T E R N M A S S A C H U S E T T S
Tuesday through Friday
2:00 PM to 5:00 PM
10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
If our shop hours do not fit within your hectic schedule,
please contact us to setup a private appointment.
Operators Are Standing By!
South Shore Computer Repair
238 Centre Street
Middleboro, Massachusetts 02346
You can also find us on Foursquare & Yelp!