Improving life quality henriette valster hcm medical
Hightech Contract Manufacturing – Medical B.V.
The start of a new innovative company in Nijmegen!
(The initial idea)
Setup a Contract Manufacturing Organization for the development and
production of biological implants and devices based on human as well as
Be an extension of Customers policy and business in the development and
Be a service provider in installation of technologies and production
processes at Customer Sites, globally.
Biochemists with experience in (Contract) Manufacturing of Medical
Devices, Pharmaceuticals and Tissue Constructs.
Advising and supporting companies on operational, quality and regulatory
Extensive international network.
Complementary characters but share being independent, targeted and the
passion for water.
(The Action Plan)
• August : Decision to start CMO
• November : Registration of HCM-Medical B.V.
• February : Selection of Facilities
• March : Start setup Business Plan
• April-July : Investor selection and presentation
• October : Investment process (almost) completed
• November : Clean room construction started
• December : Manager Production hired
• January : Clean room construction completed
• First Customer contract signed
• April : Offical Opening of HCM-Medical
• First Inspection by Notified Body for CE License
Development and production of niche products for third
parties whereby through new technologies solutions are
provided for faster healing of the patient with oncological
applications as an important priority.
HCM-Medical BV, is a contract manufacturer that in close collaboration with the
customer develops products and implements technologies for the purpose of
manufacturing unique and hightech medical products.
► Driven by technology
► Focus on medical implants with unique proporties for niche applications.
► High level of customer satisfaction supported by added services:
- Product Development
- Validation and Registration
HCM Medical: a contract manufacturing company
HCM Medical, also known as Hightech Contract Manufacturing Medical, is a
contract manufacturing organization that develops and manufactures
products and implements technologies.
The purpose of the production is to develop and manufacture unique and
high-tech medical products for various medical applications which include
cardiovascular, urological, dermatological, dental,
ophthalmological and orthopedic applications.
At the same time, HCM Medical will put an emphasis on the need for tissue
products required in tumor surgery, development and production of tumor
vaccines and the development of drug-release products for local
treatment by implantation.
HCM-Medical CMO Services
Products or services
HCM-Medical can provide the following services:
•Production of products for customer within the current licenses, suchas:
• Medical Devices
• Tissue (human)
•Develop new products, in collaboration with the customer, within the
possibilities and expertise
•Produce, on behalf of the customer, the first batches after product
development, for clinical studies or product registration
•Provide knowledge in the field of test method development
•Product (process) validation
Together with customers HCM Medical will specialize in developing and producing
products that have a biological origin; either the processing of human and animal
tissues to new implants as well the purification of biological materials such
as collagen for the production of high quality implants.
Technologies performed by HCM Medical, such as:
• Supercritical CO2 for the purpose of removal of cells and
other unwanted materials from tissues.
• Freeze-drying for the purpose of production of tissue constructs
• Continuous improvement of existing technologies and
introduction of new techniques: Electro-spinning, 3D printing, etc.
• Aseptic preparations; both formulating and filling under controlled
• 2 Founders of HCM-Medical
• Private Investor (Shareholder)
• Rabobank (Overheidsborgstelling)
• Mibiton (Financial lease equipment)
• Gelderland voor Innovatie (Innovation loan)
Products and Technologies
Supercritical CO2 technology (Extraction & Impregnation)
scCO2 Products and Technologies
Drying of tissue
for the purpose of
Product & Technology Development
• Grants for technology & product development
• Heart valves
• scCO2 sterilization
• scCO2 equipment development
• Business partners & New customers
• Business collaborationsCustomers
Investment (will we find the required amount?)
Customers (will customers sign contracts?)
Successfactors and Pitfalls:
Network (former contacts bring equipment, contracts, new businesses, employees etc.)
Leadtime of investment process (6-10 months)
Decision on Investorselection (conditions of investors)
Do’s and Don’ts:
Write a readable Business Plan
Invest in the necessary (no unnecessary decoration)
Select appropriate facility (dedicated to the business and logistics)
Products and Technologies
• Cleaning of human and animal tissues for the purpose of tissue reconstruction in orthopaedics, dental,
cardiovascular, dermatology, trauma, urological, etc. applications.
• Purification of collagen from animal tissue and production of collagen products & constructs for
1. HumanTissue license (IGZ)
2. ISO13485 MedDev (Notified Body)
Products and Technologies
Supercritical CO 2 as virus inactivation technique for bone; a mild way of processing.
Bokhorst A.G 1
, Al B2,
De Oude Gracht Groep
Sanquin Blood Supply
Microbiological safety of bone allografts remains a significant concern. Many of the current
processing methods to reduce the risk of transmission alter the structure and characteristics of bone.
The Supercritical CO2 fluid technique is used in tissue banking as an alternative sterilization technique
because of its cleaning and bactericidal capacities, while maintaining the natural structure of the
Aim of this study is to investigate the capacity of this ScCO2 processing method for bone to inactive
viruses as well
Materials & Method
Untreated cortical and cancellous bone particles ( 5 samples each) were spiked with different viruses
representing the critical virus groups, and processed with the following steps :: ScCO2 extraction of
debris, H2O2 30% washing step and NaOH 2M for prion inactivation. After each step the viral
removing or inactivating capacity was determined.
Results of the validation studies [CF (log10 ± 95% CL)]
Supercritical H2O2 NaOH Minimal
fluid 30% 2M Overall
CO2 (2 hrs at 40°C) (1 hr at 20°C) Virus
Virus extraction Reduction
BVDV ≥ 3.8 ± 0.4 > 5.2 ± 0.2 > 6.7 ± 0.2 > 15,7
CPV 0.5 ± 0.4 > 4.7 ± 0.3 > 5.7 ± 0.3 > 10,4
HAV 0.9 ± 0.4 > 3.7 ± 0.2 > 4.9 ± 0.2 ≥ 8,6
HIV > 6.4 ± 0.2 > 3.7 ± 0.3 > 5.6 ± 0.3 > 15,7
PSR > 5.7 ± 0.2 > 4.7 ± 0.2 > 7.1 ± 0.2 > 17,5
Minimal overall virus reduction of the SCCO2, H2O2,and NaOH of human bone.
The processing of human bone with scCO2, H2O2 and Na OH results in a theoretical virus
reduction of minimum > 8,6.log 10 A processing method based on ScCO2 completely inactive
viruses, which makes it a valuable alternative to other more aggressive inactivation
Products and Technologies
The supercritical process
Benefits of Using Supercritical CO2 Sterilization
• Low temperature and moderate pressure
- Ideal for sensitive organic materials or highly reactive materials
• Non-toxic (1)
- Compatible with allografts as well as xenografts tissue
• Able to penetrate to the interior of porous materials
- Reaches pathogens located within the cortex
• Good solvent capacity for lipids (1)
- Ideal lipid extractor
- Improved tissue cleaning
• Additive in sublethal dose (25-100 ppm) + scCO2 = synergistic effect and SAL6
• Allows for Terminal sterilization (sterilization in final packaging)
1. Fages J, Marty A, Delga C, Condoret JS, Combes D, Frayssinet P. Use of supercritical CO2 for
bone delipidation. Biomaterials. 1994;15:650-656.