European Traditional Sports and Games Association - Guy Jaouen
AEJST – ETSGA
Association Européenne des Jeux et Sports Traditionnels
European Traditional Sports and Games Association
A movement of civil society? Between
sport and culture
- International NGO registered in France
- About 60 active members amounting to
several hundreds of thousands of members
1. Join forces in order to organize festivals and
meetings, conferences and seminars.
2 – Gather the results of our work: books, brochures,
videos, etc ... to nourish other projects & research
and to be a source of inspiration for our societies in
terms of culture, socialization, education.
3. Support the establishment of new associations
and extend the European network.
4. Provide a single point of contact for European and
international institutions in order to be more visible
and to make these institutions aware of the values of
traditional games and sports.
… and the philosophy of AEJST
Some key elements
Traditional games and sports are entertainment,
socialization, education and culture.
Encourage and support:
*the development and the practice of the traditional
sports and games
*the recognition of the values contained by the
traditional sports and games in general.
No vertical decisions.
Discover and respect other (play) cultures.
Non-pyramidal organization. Different backgrounds and skills
In this sense, an organization of 100,000 members and one of
500 members have the same voting rights.
There are no limits for members of the same country.
3 kinds of members:
a - Confederations and federations
b - Cultural associations related to traditional games, training
organizations and museums.
c - Academic institutions and organizations dealing with
Examples of activities
NGO consultative member of CIGEPS-UNESCO (Inter-governmental
committee for physical education and sport).
Participation in festivals, workshops, seminars around the world
NGO advisory committee member of the Unesco Intangible Heritage
NGO consultative member of the global platform of traditional games
Founder of ITSGA (International Traditional Sports & Games
Association), whose members are (sub)continental organizations
Various projects ...
« Play with your hart,
share your culture ! »
European culture in the light of
Traditional sports and games
Realized with the support of the
Culture 2000 program of the European Union
(November 2005 - October 2006)
Realization of various projects
Actions programmées dans le projet
- Inventory of traditional games still practiced by adults
- Inventory of existing publications (books, films, websites)
- Creation of a database describing the games
- Scientific analysis (with socio-educational criteria) of these games
- Realization of footage of the games
- Realization of a DVD summarizing the different movies
- Publication of articles in several scientific journals
- Organization of a final symposium
- Publication of the proceedings of the symposium and the project
- Organization of a traditional games festival with 75 different games
- Creation of a web portal making discover many games
- AEJST - Association Européenne des Jeux et Sports Traditionnels
- FILC - Fédération Internationale des Luttes Celtiques
- Consejo General de Colegios Officiales en Education Fisica y Ciencias de la
Actividad Fisica y el Deporte de España, Madrid (Spain)
- Vlaamse Traditionele Sporten (Flanders - Belgium)
- Universidad de La Laguna, Tenerife – (Canary Islands - Spain)
- Universidad de Las Palmas, Grand Canaria – (Canary Islands - Spain)
- Colegio de Profesores de Educación Fisica de Cataluña (Catalonia – Espagne)
- Akademia Wychowania Fizycznego (Poznañ - Poland)
- Instituto de Educación Secundario de Val d’Aran (Catalonia-Spain)
- CTS national des quilles de huit, (Aveyron - France)
- Museo de Tárrega , (Catalonia - Spain)
- Federaxon Esport Nohtra Tera (Val d’Aosta - Italy)
- Asociación Galega do Xogo Popular e Tradicional (Galicia - Spain)
- Universidad de Murcie - Facultad Ciencias de la actividad física y el deporte.
- Universidad Católica de Murcia (Murcia - Spain)
Museo de Juegos Tradicionales (Campo – Aragon/Spain)
Institut Nacional d’Educació Fisica de Catalunya (Spain)
Centro de promoción de la cultura popular i tradicional catalana (Catalonia)
Federación Cántabra de Bolos (Cantabria - Spain)
Confédération FALSAB (Bretagne - France)
Sportimonium (Flanders - Belgium)
Fédération des Foyers ruraux du Gers (Midi Pyrénées - France)
Federación Catalana de Bolos (Catalonia - Spain)
Odiana - Associação Para o Desenvolvimento do Baixo Guadiana (Portugal)