MEET THE Team
Becky TimmonsBrian Wright Sandrine Thibault Matt Noonkester
Climate adaptation transportation
Building on a Firm Foundation
2004 2006 2008 2010 2012 2014 2016
Oak hill pedestrian
2000 Red brook
Sedco vision plan
Holistic Planning Model
• A long range policy document
• Establishes a vision for the City
• Provides policy guidance for
growth, development &
• Contains action items directed at
the City to implement the vision.
elements of your updated comprehensive plan
• Conservation & growth
• Economy & jobs
• Natural systems & resiliency
• Sustainability – environmental & fiscal
• Mobility, health & safety
• Built environment & urban design
A systems-based approach
Hub and spoke approach
• Conservation Commission
• Energy committee
• Transportation committee
• Park and conservation land board
• Scarborough housing alliance
• Planning board
• Historic preservation committee
• Community services and rec board
• Coastal waters and harbor committee
• And more…
• … continues to be one of the fastest growing municipalities in Maine.
• … will have a robust and diverse local economy.
• … continues to have one of the most productive and diverse ecosystems on the NE coastline.
• … will maintain marine uses, both commercial and recreational.
• … continue to identify and preserve historic homes, settlements and sites.
• ... continue to identify and designate “growth” areas and “limited growth areas”.
• ... will include housing that meets the needs of a wide range of household types.
• ... will proactively grow the capacity and types of movement of goods, services and people
through and around Town.
Area of interest – oak hill
Oak Hill will continue to evolve as mixed
use area that functions as Scarborough’s
Area of interest – dunstan
Dunstan is an attractive mixed-use
community center that provides a range of
goods and services to meet the day-to-day
needs of residents of the area as well as
commuters and tourists.
What we’ve heard so far!
• More Housing affordability
• More Housing types
• Complete streets implementation
• Need for town center
• Need for overarching community-wide vision
• Great schools attract people here
• Lots of recreation opportunities
• Fastest growing town in the state
• Need for community center
• Lots of opportunity for more growth
• Transportation capacity issues – Route 1
• Proximity to portland
• Great amount of land conservation
• Beautiful beaches
• Various identities/neighborhoods
• Plenty of capacity of water/sewer infrastructure
Some things we need your input on:
• Special character
• Make sure you…
• Be careful not to...
Join the conversation online!
town of scarborough