HR STRATEGY TEMPLATE FOR 2018
Marius Meyer, CEO: SABPP
26 October 2017
• Strategy at top of HR Competency Model.
• Strategic HR is the first HR Standard Element.
• Some HR functions underperformed in Strategic
HR Management during SABPP Audits.
• Strategic HR Management Assessment Tool in
• Today we supplement it with a tool helping you to
get your HR Strategy right for 2018.
• Build on current practice with a stronger future
focus while meeting the Strategic HRM Standard.
BUSINESS STRATEGY – HR BUSINESS ALIGNMENT
FUNCTIONAL & CROSS FUNCTIONAL HR VALUE CHAIN
HR VALUE &
Review ImproveMEASURING HR SUCCESS 4.1
HR Audit: Standards & Metrics
H R C O M P E T E N C I E S
AUDITED RATINGS – OVERALL AVERAGE
(25 companies audited)
Strategic HR Audit Evidence
Type of Evidence Sources of Evidence
HR strategy derived from
organisation objectives –
Interviews with key
Analyse internal & external
environment and provide
Documents for strategy
Head of HR
Provide strategic direction &
measurements for strategic
innovation and sustainable
Head of HR
Provide a foundation for the
EVP of organisation
Head of HR
Framework for HR element
of GRC policies/practices
Documents HR management team
Strategic HR Management is a systematic
approach to developing and implementing
long-term HRM strategies, policies and plans
that enable the organisation to achieve its
1.2.1 To ensure the HR strategy is derived from and aligned to the organisation’s
objectives in consultation with key organisational stakeholders.
1.2.2 To analyse the internal and external socio-economic, political and
technological environment and provide proactive people-related business
1.2.3 To provide strategic direction and measurements for strategic innovation and
sustainable people practices.
1.2.4 To provide a foundation for the employment value proposition of the
1.2.5 To establish a framework for the HR element of the organisation’s
governance, risk and compliance policies, practices and procedures which
balance the needs of all stakeholders.
1.2.6 To determine an appropriate HR structure, allocate tasks and monitor the
development of HR competence to deliver HR strategic objectives.
National Audit Score Your score
STRATEGIC HRM PROCESS
HR policies &
HR structure, service
model and capability
Allocate roles &
Strategic HRM tool – 7 steps:
1. Translate overall strategic intent into HR Strategy
2. Position the Strategic HR agenda as an integral part of strategic
decision-making, goals and operational plans
3. Allocate HR resources and build capability to implement the HR
4. Provide the contextual foundation for the development of HR policies,
plans, practices and procedures
5. Allocate accountability and responsibilities for the execution of HR
6. Ensure the execution of strategy is measured and monitored within
the governance framework of the organisation
7. Drive continuous improvement and sustainability of HR strategy
through planned reviews and integrated reporting
Best wishes with your HR strategy and plans