• With Fluorescent Adolescent it is easy to tell itis an alternative rock video as it includes acomedic approach to the video as well assome form of narrative which is conventionalwith most alternative rock music videos. Inparticular the visual elements within the videosuch as the concept of gangsters fightingclowns, and a narrative that doesn’t go withthe song, shows that this is a alternative rockmusic video.
• Similarly with Gives You Hell, there is anarrative that becomes clearer throughout thesong. This as well introduces a comedicapproach, therefore conforming to theconventions of an alternative rock musicvideo. Particular visual elements used such asthe rivalry between the neighbours and therock star lifestyle being shown by the leadsinger and his band mates tells us that this isan alternative rock music video.
• In Fluorescent Adolescent the setting anddécor of the music video is ‘grainy’, similar orthat of a drama film or programme. Thisconnotes to the audience that there is a deepstoryline to the music video. The director mayhave chosen this to be ironic as the actualnarrative of the music video does not fit withthe setting or décor of the actual music video.Although in doing this the music video does fitthe alternative rock genre of music videos.
• However with Gives You Hell the setting anddécor is made to look similarly with that of asitcom that lives in a suburban area. Thisconnotes to the audience that the narrative ofthe music video is of a normal couple. Howeversimilarly with Fluorescent Adolescent, thenarrative progresses and shows that the settingand décor doesn’t fit the narrative. The directormay have chosen this for the same reason as theFluorescent Adolescent; to be ironic. Because ofthe this the setting and décor do fit thealternative rock genre of music videos.
• With Fluorescent Adolescent the costumes areof gangsters and clowns. This may connote tothe audience that the narrative of the musicvideo is already not going to make a lot ofsense. The director may have chosen thisbecause he was looking to make the video asrandom as possible. It is because of therandomness of the costume and the storylinethat it does in fact fit the alternative rockgenre of music videos.
• With Gives You Hell the costumes are that of asuburban couple and of rock stars. This would connotethat there will be some sort of interaction between the2 different kind of people. The director may havechosen this to make sure the narrative can be seenvisually as well as within the music video itself. Becausethey’re dressed in rock star clothes it does fit thealternative rock genre of music videos. The leadsinger/frontman of the band is dressed differently to allthe other people ion the video. However he plays 2people and therefore doubles the effect. This showsthat they are the most important member of the band.
• In Fluorescent Adolescent the props in the videoare bags, chains, cars, vans, chairs and boxes.These connote to the audience that as themajority of these props are used as weapons thatthere’s a lot of violence within the narrative ofthe music video. The director has most likelychosen them as they are typical weapons used bygangsters in hand to hand combat. As the propsfit the narrative it does in a way fit the alternativerock genre of music videos.
• In Gives You Hell the props used areamplifiers, megaphones, hoses, lawnmowers, microphones and instruments. This connotes to theaudience that the band is a typical alternativerock band. This is because they have instrumentsand random props to go with the narrative of themusic video. The director would have chosenthese to make the video generic to thealternative rock genre. With the directors choiceof the props used within the video, they havemade the video fit to the alternative rock genre.
• In Fluorescent Adolescent the body language and performanceused within the video connotes to the audience that the banditself is very random as their performance does not fit thealternative rock genre typically. The director may have chosenthis because it fits with the more random, unconventional sideof the alternative rock genre that the artists seem to represent.As it is unconventional to the genre, it doesn’t fit the genreconventionally, but does still fit the genre unconventionally.Different audiences would interpret the style of the music videoas bad as it does not fit the expectations of the typical audiencefor the alternative rock genre, others would however deem thisas correct as it is expected for the artist to be unconventional.The artist does not move differently to everyone else.
• In Gives You Hell the body language and movementwould connote to the audience that the artists are atypical alternative rock band as the style isconventional to the genre. The director would havechosen this because the artists are renowned for thisstyle of music video and wants to portray the sameimage. This therefore fits to the alternative rock genre.Different audiences might interpret this as conveying tothe mainstream policies of alternative rock andtherefore lacking originality. The artist movesdifferently to everyone else to show that he’s the frontman. This creates the effect that he’s the mostimportant member of the band.
• In Fluorescent Adolescent the artists are oflittle importance as anyone could have beenused as there were no scenes of the bandplaying or singing. The performance of theartists however adds to the narrative of thevideo.
• In Gives You Hell the artists are of importanceas they are acting in the narrative while alsoshowing themselves as a bad. Theirperformance adds to the effect that they are ageneric alternative rock band.
• In Fluorescent Adolescent there is a narrative.The artists take part in the narrative as actors.The narrative however doesn’t link with thelyrics of the song whatsoever. The narrativeonly adds to the music video to show howrandom the artists are.
• In Gives You Hell there is a narrative. Theartists all take part in the narrative. Thenarrative slightly links with the lyrics of thesong but instead of talking about awoman, they are talking about their annoyingnext door neighbour whom he has a rivalrywith. The narrative adds slightly to the musicvideo to show them as a generic alternativerock band.