My name is Ryan Busch, I have been a marketer for the last 10 years and a teacher for a
little more than 2 years.
Professionally, I work in marketing and product management and development--specifically
in educational marketing and technologies since 2005. I currently serve as a consultant on
social media and digital marketing programs in the higher education space, and I am also
the Chief Marketing Officer for Piccolo International University.
I am married to my best friend and we have a happy home with two wonderful dogs. I am a
classically trained musician whose interests, in the last 10-15 years, have moved more
towards European folk music with a little electric guitar playing to boot. Consequently, I
have a collection of accordions, concertinas, saxophones, and penny whistles--plus a
Gibson Les Paul knock-off--that I play whenever I get a chance.
Last bit of info: I have eaten fire, gone skydiving, and milked cows--but never all at the same time :)
Piccolo International University
•Digital Marketing Certificates: http://onlinepiu.com/digital-marketing-certificate-
•Bachelor’s Degree: http://onlinepiu.com/bachelor-degree-in-digital-marketing/
This is a highly innovative concept—these lectures blend live lecture, with for-credit online
college courses—congratulations on being a part of the future of higher education!
1. Our Digital Marketing Definition:
Digital Marketing is the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating,
communicating, capturing, and engaging customers, clients, partners, and society
at large with interactive offerings that deliver value through direct action.
1. Value Chain
2. 11 model types…convergence
The concept of personas have a been used in market research and segmentation studies
and have strong use in the digital marketing arena (Chaffey et al, 2006, p.75).
Consider the scenario as a series of questions asked by the visitor (Chaffey et al, 2006,
1. Personal Attributes
1. Age, Gender, etc…
3. Experience-level with digital environments
1. Blackberry (http://www.blackberry.com/)
2. versus Jitterbug (http://www.jitterbug.com/Default.aspx)
2. Define Various Personas
1. Answers lead to a variety of traits…commonalties yield the Primary Persona
2. Used as a stepping stone to create consistency between the various personas-
types being defined
3. Consider Various Scenarios for each defined persona
1. Searching for information ->Information Request Opportunity
2. New Customer, Ready to Buy -> Purchase
3. Current Customer, Ready to Buy -> Purchase
4. Primary Persona
1. Common traits can lead to a Primary Persona that is emblematic of a “typical”
2. Design can use the Primary Persona as a foundation (Chaffey et al, 2006, p.76).
Additional Personas for consideration:
1. Secondary Personas: Refined extensions of established personas
2. Complimentary Personas: Persona’s that don’t fit specifically into the main categories
or exhibit highly specialized behaviors (Wodtke, 2002 cited in Chaffey et al, 2006, p.77).
1. Trackers - know exactly what they want, using online to find it in a way that meets their
1. 46” Samsung LED TV, 120hz
2. Hunters – know generally what they want, uses online to find options
1. New TV
3. Explorers – no particular product in mind, might be looking for a present, or just
investigating options (Chaffey et al, 2006, p.79).
This image is from figure 2.23 on page 80 of Internet Marketing by Chaffey et al.
Benchmarking should be continual rather than occasional.
Google—is an important intermediary with very specific practices that help you to
determine how to maximize the relationship
Ebay and Amazon.com are intermediaries
Click Here to View and Join—please share it with your friends!
Lecture 1:Thursday Dec 3 at 6:00 PM (all times Arizona)
Lecture 2:Thursday Dec 10 at 6:00 PM
Lecture 3:Thursday Dec 17 at 6:00 PM
Lecture 4:Thursday Jan 7 at 6:00 PM
Lecture 5:Thursday Jan 14 at 6:00 PM
Lecture 6:Thursday Jan 21 at 6:00 PM
Lecture 7:Thursday Jan 28 at 6:00 PM
Lecture 8:Thursday Feb 4 at 6:00 PM