Evaluation: In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
In what ways does your media
product use, develop or challenge
forms and conventions of real
• Using a Voice-over encourages the audience that they (The Voice of the Non-Diegetic Sound) have some
sort of specialist knowledge on the subject, this will then enhance the audiences faith in what has been
presented to them, mixing with the footage this will then create a platform of trust between the audience.
• Real footage of events. This shows that the events present are accurate and increases the reliability of the
documentary, this helps the audience develop a feeling towards the whole documentary and form an
opinion on the subject. This is used in most of SkySports interviews and sports specials known as Special
• Natural Sound and Lighting throughout (NON-DIEGETIC FOR VOICE OVER). This gives a natural feel to the
whole documentary, showing that it is not staged and this again will increase the reliability of the footage.
• Interviews with experts or people in the know, this will enhance the Reflexive style of the documentary
but also add to the narrative structure which is about informing the audience and providing factual
information but also offering an opinion on certain subjects this is to either enhance the opinion or
challenge it- then showing no biased views towards the secondary subjects in the documentary. This is
used in most of SkySports interviews and sports specials known as Special Report.
• Text labels which are deemed to be unquestionable and a quick way of conveying information, this again
strengthens the reliability of the documentary. This is used in most of SkySports interviews and sports
specials known as Special Report.
Challenge & Develop conventions:
• There is no use of dramatization this is because this is not needed in our documentary because it based on
mostly opinions via interviews, meaning that nothing had to be hyped up.
• We also challenged the conventions of having a on screen presenter, this was replaced with a voice over.
Although some documentaries do use both we decided not to, the voiceover was used to convey the facts
throughout the documentary.
• Our Documentary is in a Reflexive style (Bill Nichol)- Based on real life moments and objects, these types
of documentaries are based on more suggestions and opinion rather than facts.- This is developed
because although my documentary is based on more suggestions and opinions these are also based upon
facts and the documentary does include various facts about the subject of the documentary which are
mainly delivered via Voice
The magazine & Poster :
• I terms of using the conventions for the magazines I took many different ideas some of these being from
regular magazines such as FourFourTwo, this in its feature articles uses a large image with the text (The
article/interview) on the other side we then decided to challenge this by putting a image on the opposite
page to the text but we also added a brief description of who we had interviewed. We put the text into
organised columns on the other side of the page.
• In terms of the poster I searched through IMDB and sure enough I saw that most posters which are
introducing new programs did not contain a lot of information as it is usually one large image with the
title, I decided to follow these conventions- this makes it simple and straight forward to tell the genre of
television but also the name of the program. For example in the poster below I used this as my style
model, I followed these conventions by having one large image and only the title of the program .