Media & Promotions
A Short History
Sofia Sotomayor M Frank Portelli
D4100 Mexico RYEA Australia
• the main means of mass communication (television, radio, and
newspapers) regarded collectively:
• 1. activity that supports or encourages a cause, venture, or
aim:the promotion of cultural and racial diversity
• 2. the publicizing of a product, organization, or venture so as to
increase sales or public awareness:
• What is Multimedia?
• A method of communicating information between
• 30,ooo years ago – Cave Paintings.
• 3300 BC the Egyptians perfected hieroglyphics –
• 1500 BC the Semites devised the alphabet with
• 800 BC the Greeks introduced vowels to alphabet.
Types of early Media
The Chinese Diamond Sūtra, the oldest known dated printed book in the
world using wooden blocks – May 11 868 AD
Modern media needs to go to many –
For the first time we had the mass production of printed books.
• 1453 - The first book was printed – one being the
• Printing press quickly spread all over Europe.
• 1468 – William Caxton produced a book with the first
• By 1500 2,000,000 copies of books produced.
• The next 100 years, printing rose to 200,000,000.
• 1640 – Newspapers produced in England.
• 1666 – The London Gazette – the first commercial
1844 the first
telegraph line set
By 1858 the first
accessible in the
Able to store &
• 1885 Photographic film invented by George Eastman.
• Marconi or Tesla (?) invents the Radio in 1894.
• 1896 – Movie Theatres first public show in New York – now
we can store and transmit video!
• Kodak Brownie produced in 1910.
• 1925 John Logie Beard invents the TV.
• 1927 the first TV transmission by Farnsworth and the first
colour set in 1928.
• Live TV viewed in the home by 1936.
1964 - Business Computers –
1971 - Video Players – movies in
1979 - Walkman – music
on the move.
1982 – the CD player –
better quality music.
The digital camera age
Internet & Smartphone
• Internet evolves during the 2nd half of twentieth
• E-mail technology developed during the 1970’s.
• 1990 Tim Berners –Lee comes up with the idea of
• Today more than 2 billion people use the internet.
• Smartphones have changed lives significantly.
• They are portable
• Specific features – touchscreen, GPS, web
browsers, Wi-Fi connectivity, 1000,s
Multi Media has been a means of communicating
since early times.
Print & Electronic
They are the tools to help & make Multi Media
It is used:
to communicate with each other
Who are our Clients
The General Public – promoting awareness
Prospective Host Families
How is YEP Promoted
Referral – Inbound & Outbound Students
Exchange Student Stories
This 8 page newsletter
was used to promote YEP
amongst the clubs in
Elisabeth Olsen Nordby, a 16-year-
old Rotary Youth Exchange Student
from Norway, a current Inbound
hosted by the RC Footscray
presented at the recent D9800
Conference in Albury. She said that
she sees herself and every other
Exchange Student in the World as
Peace Bombs and that students
may be able to bring peace to a
conflict, because Exchange
Students know how to bring
together. Elisabeth said that
exchange had given her lifelong
friendships at school, with
Rotarians, with other Exchange
Students and with her Host
A 30 second TV presentation as a Community Service