District 5170 (California, USA) is home to over 6,500
Interactors in more than 115 private and public schools,
who learn Service Above Self through international and
community service projects. They raise approximately
$100,000 yearly and complete over 132,000 hours
of community service. Interactors will explain how
leadership, ethics, and service work together to promote
international action, and you’ll learn the secret to district
5170’s widespread success.
Moderator: Oliver Borg, District 5170 Interact Lieutenant
Governor, Interact Club of Santa Cruz High School,
#ricon15WE ARE INTERACT DISTRICT 5170
Interact – what’s that…
Let me hear you clap…
It’s a service club,
that we all love …
Ya, Interact’s got our
Interact with Rotary makes a difference, in
our community, and our world; today.
– Rotary & Interact together achieve service
– We push each other to greater heights
– Be a part of an organization that will change
the world, and Rotary
We need you. Help us Change the world.
Join the movement, join Interact.
Every Rotarian is an Example to Youth
*This slogan was adopted in 1949 by the Rotary International Board of Directors
• Bay Area California
• 7000 Interactors
• 115 schools
• 13 areas
• District 5170
– Zone 25
Where are we?
– Begins with one
– One on One gets it done
– Presence through Social
– Friendship, family,
– Bond, meet others, help the
The amount of Interactors grows each year because…
What makes Interact so special?
• Interact produces leaders
• Interactors live our motto of Service Above
• Interactors are Inclusive
• Interactors love to help us with our
• Interactors are future Rotarians
• ROI (Return on Interact) is significant
"If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together."
• Rotary U
• Avenues of
• Presidents’ Elect
• New President
• Fall Leadership
• Presidents’ Winter
• Summer Send Off
• FLC is designed to…
• Rotary Attendance
– Rotarians and Interactors alike are welcome
to attend FLC!
• Advisor workshop to
– Building better advisors
– Bridging the gap between Rotary-Interact
Fall Leadership Conference District Assembly
• Unveil the new
• Hype around event
• Challenge to be better
than last year
• Being part of something
• Inspirational leadership
What do we do so 4000 teens attend FLC
What is PWR?
A two-day leadership retreat organized by District
Council, similar to Rotary’s PETS
What is the purpose?
LEARN… leadership, professionalism, and public speaking
LOVE… a family of selfless Interactors.
LEAD…generations of Interactors to success!
What is special about PWR?
Pass on our culture
President’s Winter Retreat President-Elect Training Seminar
How to Structure a Successful Interact
1. Start small begin with a High School and
have strong freshman & sophomores to keep
2. Build an area, getting many High Schools
together to accomplish goals
3. Create a 2nd area & begin collaboration
4. Establish an Interact District Council,
modeled after a Rotary district
– Group of selected Interactors, District Chair
and DC advisors
– Governor and LT Governor apply and are
selected by the DC advisors
– Growth and leadership opportunity for our
youth; life changing experience
Interact Governor/Lt Governor
Rotary Advisor Team
Governor and Lieutenant Governor
Community Project Coordinator
International Project Coordinator
Digital Media Coordinator
Area Directors (13)
What is District Council?
Your Role as Rotary Advisor
– Liaison between students & Rotary club
– Assist in fundraising & event planning
– Attend Interact meetings & events
– Support Interact club Presidents, liaise
with faculty advisor
– Keep up to speed with Interact calendar
– Create a joint community project between
your club & the Interact club
– Have your Interact officers visit your club
– Work with district for schools in area that
do not have an active club and sponsor
– Support Interact in creating new middle
school clubs, the junior high version of