What is the function of the excretory system?
1. Removes wastes from the body
2. Cleans the blood
3. Produces urine
4. Involves the kidney and bladder
• Draw a picture to show that blood:
1) Absorbs nutrients in the villi in the small intestines
2) Releases nutrients into cells and takes away the cell’s
wastes in capillaries
3) Gets rid of wastes in the kidneys
What does the kidney do?
• The kidney cleans the blood by filtering out
waste products, like uric acid.
• The kidney turns the waste products into
urine, which goes to the bladder.
What does the bladder do?
• Stores urine until it leaves the body.
What are the ureters and the urethra?
• Ureters are tubes that carry urine
from the kidneys to the bladder.
• The urethra is the tube that carries
urine to the outside of your body.
• Draw a picture to illustrate how the kidneys,
ureters, kidneys and urethra are connected.
How does your body control the
amount of sodium (salt) in the blood?
• Kidneys control how much sodium goes into
• If there is too much sodium in the blood, more
sodium will go into the urine.
• In the capillaries of normal cells and tissues:
o _____________________ goes out of the blood and
o _____________________ goes into the blood
• In the alveoli of the lungs:
o ____ goes into the blood and ____ goes out of the blood
• In the villi of the small intestines:
o ______________ goes into the blood
• In the kidneys:
o _______________ goes out of the blood
1. What is the function of the excretory system?
2. What do the kidneys do?
3. How does the excretory system help you